Zeagle comparisions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

big-al

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,have been diving the ranger(large) and gotta say the fit and comfort for myself is about as good as it gets.The only downfall is the weight/bulk is to much when traveling to those long distance warm water places.Am looking for some comparisons on the ranger against the scout,escape or stiletto concerning fit,comfort and packability.Have done some reading about these but living were I do hard to find any of these to try on and see were the differences are,are the straps smaller,lower cut sides,packing weight differences etc.Are these ``smaller`` b.c.s as comfortable.Being a minimalist like the scout but also like the stiletto because of the heavier costructed bladder and pf sizing.Any imput appreciated,thanks.

big-al:
Hi,have been diving the ranger(large) and gotta say the fit and comfort for myself is about as good as it gets.The only downfall is the weight/bulk is to much when traveling to those long distance warm water places.Am looking for some comparisons on the ranger against the scout,escape or stiletto concerning fit,comfort and packability.Have done some reading about these but living were I do hard to find any of these to try on and see were the differences are,are the straps smaller,lower cut sides,packing weight differences etc.Are these ``smaller`` b.c.s as comfortable.Being a minimalist like the scout but also like the stiletto because of the heavier costructed bladder and pf sizing.Any imput appreciated,thanks.

You might also consider the Zeagle Brigade. A custom design exclusively through www.scubatoys.com that took the harness from the ranger and uses a smaller blader.

I was concidering this one before I ordered my Ranger and may end up with one later on for traveling.

Like Mark said, the Brigade is a good option. Especially for you.

The Brigade is essentially a Ranger with an Escape Bladder. The reduced size bladder makes it a little easier to pack than the original Ranger Bladder. Although it is not as compact as the Escape by its self. Since you already have the Ranger, the best option for you is to just by an Escape Bladder and change it out whenever you are going to be traveling and size is an issue.

The stiletto is almost identical to the Brigade, so save yourself alot of money and just buy the bladder. Or if you really want a seperate BCD for traveling, then get the Escape.

Mark_N:
You might also consider the Zeagle Brigade. A custom design exclusively through www.scubatoys.com that took the harness from the ranger and uses a smaller blader.

I was concidering this one before I ordered my Ranger and may end up with one later on for traveling.
Thanks Mark,thought of buying an escape or stiletto bladder for my ranger harness but wonder how much weight/packability you really gain as still would have the larger(I think) pocket/cumerbund assembly.While personally comfortable with this the airlines are getting very sticky on the weight/size thing.We also travel budget and bus/walk alot so every pound helps.

I have dove an Escape for several years now. I like it a lot. It folds up into an extremely compact package. I would rate it as comfortable to wear as my Ranger and takes up about 1/2 the room. It has adequate points for gear attachment. It does have the velcro closures for the weights, which some people do not like (as opposed to the classic pull cord). I personally have not had any problem with them either opening unexpectedly or with weight squeezing through the flap.

drdiver1952:
I have dove an Escape for several years now. I like it a lot. It folds up into an extremely compact package. I would rate it as comfortable to wear as my Ranger and takes up about 1/2 the room. It has adequate points for gear attachment. It does have the velcro closures for the weights, which some people do not like (as opposed to the classic pull cord). I personally have not had any problem with them either opening unexpectedly or with weight squeezing through the flap.
.Wow,near half the size packed and as comfortable,great info,thanks.

big-al:
.Wow,near half the size packed and as comfortable,great info,thanks.

Sorry, error in my post--the Escape has the ripcord system, but it is very compact.
I was thinking about my Express which has the velcro tabs.

I have owned both a Ranger and a Scout, the Ranger just got sold last week as it had been sitting in the closet since buying the Scout. Because most of my diving is warm water travel I bought the Scout (the stripped down model) as a way around the size and weight of the Ranger with full intent on diving the Ranger when I was driving to a site but as I got use to the Scout I found I prefered it as I did not need the extra padding or lift (35lb vs 44 lb). The Ranger weights in at around 9 lbs, the Scout is 4. Another "problem" with the Ranger is it is close to 4 lbs positive, the Scout (and I suspect the Escape) it pretty close to neutral. If I were to do it all over again, I think I would buy the Escape to start with. Unless you have a need for the extra lift of the Ranger, are going to dive doubles or intend to hang heavy items like stage bottles off the D rings, I see no reason to upgrade past the Escape. Last I heard, the Scout was no longer in production so the Escape is the next logical choice and it has the Ripcord weight system which my Scout doesn't . In any case, any of the Zeagle BCs are good quality gear, you just have to decide which meets your needs.

herman:
I have owned both a Ranger and a Scout, the Ranger just got sold last week as it had been sitting in the closet since buying the Scout. Because most of my diving is warm water travel I bought the Scout (the stripped down model) as a way around the size and weight of the Ranger with full intent on diving the Ranger when I was driving to a site but as I got use to the Scout I found I prefered it as I did not need the extra padding or lift (35lb vs 44 lb). The Ranger weights in at around 9 lbs, the Scout is 4. Another "problem" with the Ranger is it is close to 4 lbs positive, the Scout (and I suspect the Escape) it pretty close to neutral. If I were to do it all over again, I think I would buy the Escape to start with. Unless you have a need for the extra lift of the Ranger, are going to dive doubles or intend to hang heavy items like stage bottles off the D rings, I see no reason to upgrade past the Escape. Last I heard, the Scout was no longer in production so the Escape is the next logical choice and it has the Ripcord weight system which my Scout doesn't . In any case, any of the Zeagle BCs are good quality gear, you just have to decide which meets your needs.
Herman,appreciate the 4#/nuetral info,nice to lose a few pounds of lead and get a new b.c. as well,almost better than christmas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom