Proper BCD Inflator maintenance ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Talon

Contributor
Reaction score
** Per suggestion, I have cross posted this from the "General Discussions" forums.

I've got an Oxycheq 45# wing and after a dive I tend to just unscrew the inflator hose and fill the wing with water that way. Producedure works GREAT for cleaning out the BC, but sucks when it is time to screw the inflator hose back onto the wing. I can count on it taking at least 3-4 (sometimes many more) tries to get the threads lined up. And even then, it feels rough going on.

My concern is that I am starting to wear down the threads on the BC attachmenet for the inflator hose.

Is there some kind of lubricant I am suppose to/or could use to ease the re-assemble.

Does anyone else use this method for cleaning their BC?

Thanks,
Michael

Michael,
I press the deflator button and put water in that way so I do not have tounscrew the hose. Then occaisionally I will soak the inflator as well as my regs in some white vinegar to get rid of hard water deposits.

I use your same method for cleaning the inside of my BC, but never have a problem screwing the hose back, you should check the threads to see if they're damaged, if so you may want to replace the damaged part before it fails.

Most common problem with this method is that sometimes when you unscrew the hose or OPV from the bladder, the double nut comes out too creating another problem to separate them.
I bought a BC tool and tightened the double nut to the bladder and hand tight the hose and OPV to the double nut.

I've used the filling through the power inflator method for many yrs and it works allright.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom