BP/W weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ID diver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
In the last year I have been diving with a BP/W and have been very pleased with the performance. I am going to be going on a warm water dive trip and plan on taking the BP/W (the first time I will have this configuration in warm water). I have read the posts about how little space a BP/W take in a gear bag and that is great but my question is this: How much does your BP/W weigh (dry)? I weighed mine out of curiousity because I was going to get an Aluminum BP to reduce my travel weight. The total weight of my BP/W configuration is approximately 11 lbs. (SS BP and harness 6 lbs, Wing 2.5 lbs, STA with cam bands 2.5 lbs). I was suprised so I weighed my previous BCD (Ranger) and it was approximately 7 lbs. The BP/W weight seems like a lot. I don't have anyone to compare with because everyone I know dives with a BCD.

Ideally I would like to get the BP/W travel weight down but I know the SS BP in warm water with a 3mm wetsuit should not require me to wear a weight belt so I don't know if I should just bite the bullet and use the SS BP.

Your thoughts and input would be much appreciated.

Most BP run around 5-6lbs and STA anywhere from 2.5-5lbs. Just watch your weight restrictions on your flight. Most allow 50lbs per bag and its pretty easy to exceed that. I would consider an alum. backplate. They are cheap and only weight a pound or 2.

A bunch of us just came back from cave diving in Florida. If our bags were anywhere over 55lbs they charged us $25 excess freight. On the return we were swapping free space and gear between each of us to avoid the extra charges. I solved most of mine with my carry-on...which probably was pushing 35 lbs.

Not sure about the total weight but I am sure that buying an AL plate for warm water diving was a great decision for me. It enables you to trim it out in all sorts of ways. Offset a light, move weight up to the top CAM straps (or the lower ones) If you go with a SS plate chances are that you don't have much room left for trim weighting or off-setting (should you need it). I dove warm water a bunch of times this Summer and in a 3mm wetsuit with an AL plate and an AL 80 tank TOTAL weight needed was only 8 pounds. Yours may be much different but all in all I found the AL plate to make a tons of sense for travel.

..'course you also get the wonderful task of re-webbing the AL plate. :11:

-Chris

I'de definitly go with the AL BP if you can afford to buy another one. Once a wing diver always a wing diver and being overweighted might not be a favorable. I wondering if EBAY has any. Also is a plastic plate a possibility if they make them.

I think that your confusion stems from the fact that so many of us here talk about how great BP/wings are for traveling. But what we are talking about is how well they pack...they simply take up less room in the gear bag than the typical BC. BCs are rather bulky in comparison. But when considering weight the BP/wings often will weigh more. That makes sense, right? After all, a BP is made of either steel or aluminum whereas a bc is mostly plastic and fabric.

Of course, one could...with the right combination of components...rig up a very light BP/wing combo. For instance, an Al plate and wing...with no STA...probably weighs in around 5 to 6 pounds or by going with the Kydex plate that Tobin offers, one could probably shave another 2 pounds off that. So, there are ways to make up a very light kit.

But we're talking a matter of only a few pounds and I don't believe that every single pound is all that important when we're talking about typical dive travel...vehicle, boat or plane. As long as your gear bag weighs in under the airline limit you'll be O.K. Most folks don't have much difficulty carting a 45 pound gear bag through the airport and that number is certainly achievable with most BP/STA/wing combinations...even with some of the heavier steel plates that are available.

Don't forget...the weight of a BP/wing is usually a good thing. Many of us use heavier plates or add STAs solely for the purpose of putting more weight on the back and less around the waist.

Which brings me to my answer to your question...If you trim out nice in warm water exposure protection with a steel BP, STA, wing combo and don't need a weight belt, then by all means pack those in your bag. There is no bullet to bite! What? Is that extra 2 to 3 pounds in gear weight a big deal? Na...not unless your planning on hiking the Appalachian trail while humping your gear on your back the whole way.

Beats me what mine weighs....DiveRite TransPlate with Rec wing and deluxe harness....but i put it in a computer size carry on back with my mask and it goes on the plane with me.....no problem.

Back
Top Bottom