Confused ....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YCW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are manufacturers moving too fast? After considering for a while and decided I am going to get an Olympus C5060, the model is discontinued. I can't even find it locally anymore. Although it was an upgrade from C5050, I think the camera was launched just barely two years ago.

It is bad enough there are tons of choices out there. Deciding on what you want based on the usage and budget that you have is confusing, now they are coming out with something newer (not necessarily better I might add), before you even get to know the old ones.

Now I am really confused and lost. I would have to start the process of looking for a new camera all over again...

Welcome to the world of consumerism :)
Nowaday, shelf life of a camera is not very long, generally around 12-18 months it seems.
There are plenty of discussions about the current Olympus, Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sony models etc. I suggest once you buy it, stop reading because the next newer, better, less expensive models will always be just around the corner :)

Yup, what ssra said.

Also, the 5060 wasn't much of an "upgrade" over the 5050 and this is quite common. Canon's just brought out a new model the S80 as an "upgrade" to the S70 and while for certain some things will improve, other haven't. So you need to check carefully on each model for YOUR needs.

I'd think you could still find some 5060's, even refurbished units, around if that's what you want. I would expect to get two years or so out of a system before starting to seriously consider changing (shhh! I know I don't get that much, but we all know I love to shop!!)

Check out dpreview.com for side by side comparisons of models once you have your wish list of features. Don't forget to make sure you find out if a housing is available! Then just jump it...things change so fast you'll never keep up.

And remember, this whole thing is meant to be fun so enjoy it!!

alcina:
Yup, what ssra said.

I'd think you could still find some 5060's, even refurbished units, around if that's what you want. I would expect to get two years or so out of a system before starting to seriously consider changing (shhh! I know I don't get that much, but we all know I love to shop!!)

2 years! I think I went through 4 systems in 2.5 years :) As Alcina said, shopping is fun :)
I agree that usually it takes about 2-3 generations of camera to really see a significant difference in PnS camera.

alcina:
And remember, this whole thing is meant to be fun so enjoy it!!

I do enjoy the whole process :). Right now I already owned a Sony P8 marine pack and really enjoyed underwater photography. After a couple of years of practise, finally decided to upgrade to a camera that offers more flexibility. Maybe for people like us who moves a bit slower, and probably more budget conscious, it gets a little frustrating. I think I will just do like what ssra30 says, get whatever is right at this moment and enjoy it...

Sounds like a good plan, like I said - "what he said" :D

When you do decide it would be great to get a little mini review after you've used it a little...really helpful for the next person who is shopping! And we all love to see the results, too!

I owned a C5050 even before I started scuba diving. When I found out I could actually take the camera underwater I bought at PT-015 housing - then expanded from there. I love the entire setup, but have been tempted by the "upgrade" bug at every new model. Finally I decided that the C5050 does everything that I want, and then some. As a result, I just bought another C5050 and another PT-015 housing. If one goes bad, I have a spare. I should be good to go for several years now. If I want to upgrade, I'll add another Inon D-2000 strobe, but I'll leave everything else alone. Well, maybe a macro lens; then again perhaps a modeling light; or ........

That's the way the 'ol technology ball bounces now-a-days.

It's just like buying a computer, as soon as you purchase it, it's already obsolete.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom