Not quite DIR but . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJdiver85

Contributor
Reaction score
I know ponys are not considered DIR, but here's my situation. Let's assume I'm diving a backplate and wing with a single tank. The charter operator requires that I have a pony bottle. If I decide to attach the pony bottle to the side of the single tank (using a pony tamer or similiar device), will this interfere in any way with the operation and air trapping qualities of the wing (Halcyon pioneer). And one more thing: I know it is more acceptable to rig it as a staged bottle, which is what I may do anyway. I just want to know if rigging it as above creates any problems.

If you are diving DIR (see the hogarthian thread).

You select a different operation to dive off of. You also let the charter operator know why. Money talks, at some point they will hear it.

omar

Originally posted by tbg
I know ponys are not considered DIR, but here's my situation. Let's assume I'm diving a backplate and wing with a single tank. The charter operator requires that I have a pony bottle. If I decide to attach the pony bottle to the side of the single tank (using a pony tamer or similiar device), will this interfere in any way with the operation and air trapping qualities of the wing (Halcyon pioneer). And one more thing: I know it is more acceptable to rig it as a staged bottle, which is what I may do anyway. I just want to know if rigging it as above creates any problems.
I don't think this comes down to Dir or not Dir
Your best bet is to carry it as a sling bottle, This way you can dive it with the reg pressurized but valve off and you can hand off the bottle to someone that needs it.. I dove a pony bottle in the attached tank configuration for years (when using a single) but once I started using the a sling mount I'd never go back.. Its much easier to manipulate the bottle, is much less of an entanglement issue, and allows much better balance under water.. any reasonable size pony bottle attached to you tank will induce some tendency to rotate you..

I don't find anything wrong with an operation requiring some type of redundant source.. Its pretty common up here in the north east US.. in fact many require you to also dive with a reel (with enough line to reach the surface) and a liftbag..

Omar,

Let's also assume, my buddy for this particular trip is not DIR, and therefore, I have to carry my own alternate air supply. I am just trying to find out if there are any operational problems with the proposed set up. Thanks.

Todd

Mounting the pony directly to your tank it seems would cause you to be off balance. And having to correct for the uneven weight distribution. As mentioned above, I would mount it as a stage or deco and "sling" it.

You don't mention what size wing you are using, but if you just have to mount it on the tank and you are using one of the Pioneer wings it shouldn't cause any problems.

ID

Let's also assume, my buddy for this particular trip is not DIR, and therefore, I have to carry my own alternate air supply.

Hmmm.....I thought the DIR philosophy required you to dive with a buddy.....but it sounds like you expect to be diving with people you don't trust....which goes against even the basic buddy rule. If you don't trust somebody, why dive with them? If you don't trust them, don't dive with them. If you dive with them once(or many times), and then find a reason not to trust them....don't dive with them.

Mike

Hey Aviatrr,

Did you read my post? I simply stated my buddy is not DIR - meaning he is using a gear configuration that is not considered DIR. It doesn't mean it isn't a safe and acceptable configuration. Why you would infer from my post that I am diving with people I don't trust, I will never know. I am just trying to get some input on the pros and cons of a particular gear configuration. If it frustrates you that I am not simply and blindly following the DIR way, I sincerely apologize. Before I make a decision, I like to have all the facts and opinions that are out there - and to me, that is "doing it right"!

tbg,

I believe what was meant, is if you are a true hardcore, gungho, DIR diver, you would not dive with any who was not DIR.

I currently have a 13cuft pony hard mounted to my main tank.Of course i have to counteract with weights to prevent rolloing to one side.

Now if i were to sling mount my pony,does one still need to counter balance for the extra weight on one side?Or is the tendency to roll not there if you sling mount versus hardmount?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom