Dividing Weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

av8er23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just bought a seaquest blackdiamond from another guy on the scubaboard. It am planning on recieving it monday. I have a question about weights. I have found that 18-20 lbs. is plenty of weight with my current bc (Scuba Glide 500). I am assuming that the same weight will work with the new bc but plan on getting in the pool next week to play with it. My question is how should I distribute the weight. The blackhawk has two weight integrated pockets in the front which I figured that I would put 7 lbs. in each front pocket. There are also two small back pockets which I figured that I would place a soft 3 lbs. sack in each of those. Does this sound like a good way to balance my weights?

I'm selling a black diamond as well, so i've used one quite a bit, what you say sounds good for a start. you can change the distribution once you get in the water and find out which way you start to trim. i needed 24lbs in mine with a 7mm wetuist plus hooded vest, and my breakdown was 5 in each of the trim pockets, and 7 each in the ditchable pockets..so what you're saying is close on that...

I’ve used a Black Diamond a few times and enjoyed it, but I had to move as much weight as possible to the back trim to be comfortable both vertical and horizontal. I just put the minimal weight in the ditchable front pockets needed to be safe, and put the remainder in the rear.

Each pearson is different, so you will probably need to adjust your weight distribution to fit your own needs.

That being said, a good place to start is with about 60% of your weight in the front and the remaining 40% in the rear. Then adjust it on subsequent dives until you have proper trim.

IMO, if you have never dove with a rear weight system then I would dive at least 3 or 4 times with the 60/40 distribution before moving weight. The reason I say this is that even with only 10% weight on your back you are going to feel like you want to go belly up. This is normal. Give yourself a couple of dives to get used to a rear weight system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom