Need ID help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kent_1848

Reaction score
My wife is scrap booking our trip to Costa Rica (Pacific side), and wants to know the names of the animals in the following pics.

Found at about 45 ft. No idea how large he was, he wouldn't come out.

These 3 were all found at about 30 ft. Never seen any like this before.

Found at about 60 ft. About 4 to 6 inches across.

90 ft. About 3 ft. long. Had this one written down somewhere but lost it.

70 ft. About 10 inches across.

20 ft. About 4 inches long, just sitting on the coral.

20 ft. About 2 to 4 inches long, the pic is bad, but it is the best of all of them that I took of these little guys.

1st is a Snowflake Moray, very docile, up to 30".

Some pretty vivid urchins they have there. The last two in row of three look to be possibly in the Diadematidae family. The collector type maybe in Toxopnustidae family.

And the star maybe in the Oreasteridae family, very similar to Pentaceraster cumingi.

Next to last is a Scarface Blenny (I think they are so cute).

#1 is some sort of moray...I think he might be called a starry moray? - wrong part of the world for me

#2 are sea urchins as is #3, I believe. urchins often have a bunch of bits they've picked up on them. You'll need a good invertebrate book to ID the species.

#4 (line 4 in case I lost you!) is a numb ray, I'd guess. That distinctive pattern should be quick to ID.

#5 a sea star "Protoreaster lincki"

#6 some sort of gobie...you'll need an area specific area book or someone who has one!

#7 looks like some sort of damsel...again a specific area book is going to be a great investment or even see if your local library can get a couple in for you.

hth

Yeah, that Scarface Blenny just reminded me of a cute little puppy dog for some reason.

These pictures were my first foray into underwater photography, so please feel free to give advice and critique.

The ray is one of the electric "torpedo" types. I think that particular one's the "bullseye electric ray". I had a glimpse of the new Humann Baja guide, and saw something looney-tunes like that.

Back
Top Bottom