BBW (Big, Beautiful Woman)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

QLittlestar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey Everybody

I finally got certified!! Granted only to the SCUBA Diver level (did not have enough time to do OW) and I love it more than I ever imagined (those-20-years-hoping-to-lose-weight-to-look-good-in-my-wet-suit-until-I-got-a-clue-and-had-one-customed-made). I am going back to the Little Cayman Resort to finish the job of FULL OW certification (and might even throw in advanced). I am tall, big and HUGE breasted (for now until my reduction is finalized) and they did not have a bc to fit me properly and I was all over the place. In class I had a better fitting one and did very well with buoyancy control.

Questions:

What is this blackplate business I have been reading about? Will that benefit me?

I saw in a post here somewhere of custom Zeagles. When it is custom made can I have it readjusted as I lose weight or get the courage to go through with my breast reduction?

What are wings? will that benefit me?

I would also like it to be easily transported. What do y'all think about integrated weights?

I also need something that can take me from beginner to something more advanced as I would like to get my DM in the next year (yes the bug bit me HARD! AND MULTIPLE TIMES IN MULTIPLE PLACES!!!!) . There was a BBW Instructor at Little Cayman Resort and I have been inspired

Thanks everybody for your answers and your encouragement over the last couple of years. If there were such a supportive crew for everything we did as there is in the dive community, we could ALL walk on the moon.

Love
Quinnette

First of all, Congratulations!! Similar to what I did. More diving, please!!

You will get a lot of informations on your questions. I was presented with a BP/W config when I was looking for a BC. I wish I would have done that. I am now looking at a BP/W configuration. I would say that would be one item that would remain with you throughout your diving career.

I have a SP Knighthawk, which will handle doubles. So, I'm hoping to at least try that out with my BC. I have integrated weights and it was a two fold blessing. I got the weight off my belt, since it kept sliding on me all the time (no hips) and it has improved my trim.

So, go for the BP/W. Choose wisely and the only upgrade that you will probably need is a bigger wing. (for larger tanks or normal wear and tear).

Good luck and go for it! :D

Jack

Quinnette,

You sound like a prime candidate for a backplate/wing setup. Here is why:

1. The Backplate setup distributes weight across a wide area of your back. You already understand the importance of this. :)

2. The most basic of backplate systems is fully customizeable without having to pay extra fees. You adjust it yourself to your hearts desire, until it's perfect for YOU everywhere, than then cut off the excess webbing.

3. The system folds down to nearly nothing. Since there is no padding on it, it takes up VERY little room for traveling.

4. The system is modular so you can add or remove pieces as necessary to compliment the type of diving you are doing.

5. If you do manage to lose weight (most of us are trying :) ) you need not purchase anything else, just re-adjust and trim off more of the harness.

6. Because of the nature of the webbing, the system rides on your shoulders and then runs under your arms along your sides. Nothing to "squeeze" you while you dive or even on land.

7. Wings are the part of the backplate system that gives it flotation. They hold the air. The backplate is simply a piece of metal, or sometimes plastic that everything hooks to. You, or the manufacturer, threads the webbing in the correct way through the backplate. Then the backplate is bolted to wings. The combination of these 3 things make the complete BC. Since you can buy different lift and type wings, you can re-thread the harness, and you can buy webbing on your own, you can fully customize your BC any time you like, to any size, for your entire diving life if you so choose.

8. Personally I don't care for integrated weights, and the backplace system does not use them. I used to have an integrated weight BC (Zeagle) and while it was nice, I much prefer a weightbelt now.

9. BP/W (thats short for Backplate/wings) are very popular with many divers for a lot of reasons. It is a system than can take you from the most basic of ocean dives, to the most technical cave/wreck/deep dives you can imagine. You will not have to purchase another BC for any reason as you advance.

I am by no means an expert at any of this. I came to understand this backplate system only this year. As I said, I had a back-inflation BC prior to this, and I was taught in a regular jacket. But like you, I wanted something more comfortable, and something that I would not have to rebuy as I am trying to lose more weight. I also hope to get into advanced diving in the future and didn't want to have to rebuy for that either.

I will say one more thing, and it's just personal opinion. Becoming a divemaster is a cool thing. But I don't know that I would encourge anyone to do it until they master quite a number of skills. I know personally, working on my skills weekly, I would not feel ready for somethnig like that for several years. Perhaps you are a great diver already and are prepared for the challenge. I wish you all the luck in the world, and I hope this bit of information is helpful to you.

-P

QLittlestar:
Hey Everybody

I finally got certified!! Granted only to the SCUBA Diver level (did not have enough time to do OW) and I love it more than I ever imagined (those-20-years-hoping-to-lose-weight-to-look-good-in-my-wet-suit-until-I-got-a-clue-and-had-one-customed-made). I am going back to the Little Cayman Resort to finish the job of FULL OW certification (and might even throw in advanced). I am tall, big and HUGE breasted (for now until my reduction is finalized) and they did not have a bc to fit me properly and I was all over the place. In class I had a better fitting one and did very well with buoyancy control.

Questions:

What is this blackplate business I have been reading about? Will that benefit me?

I saw in a post here somewhere of custom Zeagles. When it is custom made can I have it readjusted as I lose weight or get the courage to go through with my breast reduction?

What are wings? will that benefit me?

I would also like it to be easily transported. What do y'all think about integrated weights?

I also need something that can take me from beginner to something more advanced as I would like to get my DM in the next year (yes the bug bit me HARD! AND MULTIPLE TIMES IN MULTIPLE PLACES!!!!) . There was a BBW Instructor at Little Cayman Resort and I have been inspired

Thanks everybody for your answers and your encouragement over the last couple of years. If there were such a supportive crew for everything we did as there is in the dive community, we could ALL walk on the moon.

Love
Quinnette

I, myself, have overcome BP (backplate) + Wing setup by accident. There are alot of threads on this board regarding BP+Wing. Do a search on the board and you get...................................ALOT.

try www.jetharness.com if you are interested in customizing your setup. You can find some explanation about BP+wing in their "library" section.

I personally think that BP+Wing setup is the most flexible buoyancy system out there. Adjustments aren't a problem.

It might not be the case in the US but BP+Wing is rather rare here. In my case, my instructor prefers us to have the typical jacket style BCD as BP+Wing may confuse the students (though they do allow me to use it-I am currently doing my DM). Since I have a jacket style BCD also (which I was using before switching to BP+Wing), I use that for my confine water assistances and leave the BP+Wing for openwater interns and personal dive trips. But since BP+Wing might be more widely adopted in the US, this might not be a problem for you.

Wish I had known more before getting my BC, I think I would have purchased a Backplate & Wing (I do like my Knighthawk, I just think that B/W is the way to go for all the reasons stated)

Here are some companies that are known for there products

OMS ... Good Company, with info. and some good pic's of Backplate / Wings ... http://www.omsdive.com/backplate.html

Halcyon ... probably the company known for B/Ws ... http://www.halcyon.net/index.shtml

DB

Edit: thanks Wunat , didn't know about JET Harness

Before getting too pumped up for a BP/wing combo, realize that some large breasted women find the harness very uncomfortable. There are ways to deal with that problem, however, and if you plan to try one on you would be well served to have someone that has dealt with that problem assist you in the fitting.

I have tried the BP/wings and like the Zeagle Ranger much better. I am not alone in this. The BP/wing is not for everyone.

Having previously owned a Zeagle and being without a BC currently, I am curious what you liked better about the Zeagle. I enjoyed mine when I purchased it.

Thanks...

shooter226:
I have tried the BP/wings and like the Zeagle Ranger much better. I am not alone in this. The BP/wing is not for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom