Snorkel Bans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gidds

Contributor
Reaction score
Witness Protection Program (hiding from the MOFia)
I like to try to practice my snorkelling as much as possible but I've noticed that most of the municiple beaches nearest my house prohibit use of full-face masks, snorkels, and fins. This isn't really a problem since there are plenty of places for me to snorkel but I was wondering why they enact such bans? Is it due to a fear that such equipment will lead to dangerous behavior by novice or poor swimmers?
That's the only logical reason I could think of.

how do they enforce this? Sound slike one of the silliest laws bans I've heard of, unless it's at a breaking beach.

Z...

Sorry don't speak Aussie, what is a "breaking beach"? They enforce it by having the life gaurds yell at offenders and kicking them out if need be. I don't get it, I just can't fathom what safety measures such a rule provides.

The rules for Crane's beach in Ipswich say this -
"Q: Can I use a mask and snorkel at Crane Beach?

A: No, visitors using snorkels and masks are unable to hear the commands of lifeguards, thus posing a risk to themselves and others."

(I can think of so many arguments about this rule I won't even start.)

And people swimming laps can hear them? I personally don't feel very safe at the town beach here because the lifegaurds are all minors and they spend most of thier time socializing with thier friends who congregate around the bottom of the lifegaurd chairs.

Just a guess, but maybe it is due to lifeguards having problems recognizing what is going on when they see a near motionless body face down in a crowded surf. Probably gets them a little excited and may have even initiated some unnecessary whistles and confusing rescue activities. Why don't you ask the lifeguards.

If there were any adult life gaurds I would ask them. It's not an issue, just something I found curious.

OK, here it is, maybe. I teach lifeguard training; pool, waterpark and waterfront training and prevention is the #1 goal of a lifeguard. Banning of the mask, snorkel and fins at a waterfront would be very similar to why floats and flotation devices are often banned at pools and waterfronts. For many, this equipment is somewhat of a crutch, or aid, in making the person more comfortable in the water. Keep in mind that most everyone on this board is very comfortable with mask, fins and snorkel but from a lifeguard's perspective, the average beachgoer is one who snorkels maybe a couple times a year. When that person is focused on the enjoyment of the underwater world, they tend to get "lost" and before you know it, they find themselves beyond their comfort level or in the midst of boat traffic. So the rationale is to eliminate the equipment that may lead to the situation. No, I don't agree with it but from a liability standpoint for some Parks and Rec agencies it would seem to make the most sense.

On a side note to an earlier post, if you ever have concerns about the lifeguards in your area, simply ask the guards what agency they were certified through and bring it to that agency's attention. While you may not be able to change the age limit, you can certainly demand a higher level of professionalism.

That makes a bit more sense, thanks. Interestingly floatation devices and snorkel stuff is banned at the town beach within the roped off area but they are fine outside it where one is likely to get runover by a boat. Oh well based on liability that makes sense as well. As far as my problem with the local lifegaurds I solve it by merely not swimming and sitting far enough from the gaurd chairs so that I do not have to listen to thier inane chatter. Unfortunately in my mind the lack of professionalism and age directly linked.

Back
Top Bottom