Suggestions needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

midwestdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well, just counting the days until my trip to the PI. Gotta make this count as it will probably be awhile until my next trip back. Right now, I'm looking into either
Anilao or Puerto Galera and I'm looking for any good suggestions for lodging/dive op. Only requirement for lodging is aircon, will be using the room for sleeping only anyway. I'd rather spend the money on diving :D . Does any of the resort offer prices for pinoys only (pinoy ako, until I open my mouth :shocked: )?

Also looking for any suggestions for resort/dive op in boracay. I know some people say that the diving in boracay isn't that great but I've always wanted to go there (nightlife seemed pretty good according to some of the Wild On! shows I see here in the US :D ). Thanks for all the info.

The prices are almost all the same if you stick to the regular dive shops. If you're willing to go with an independed DM it'll be slightly cheaper. Save maybe $5 per dive. Since I'm on vacation, I wasn't willing to go to the extra trouble and risk to save just a few bucks. Plus I want to pay in credit card. You're earning dollars anyway.

I didn't see anything too interesting in Boracay. But had to go there as the family is going there. Also, did a night dive and shore dive there. If I'm back there I'll probably dive again, but I would not take a trip there for the diving.

midwestdvr:
Anilao or Puerto Galera and I'm looking for any good suggestions for lodging/dive op. Only requirement for lodging is aircon, will be using the room for sleeping only anyway. I'd rather spend the money on diving :D . Does any of the resort offer prices for pinoys only (pinoy ako, until I open my mouth :shocked: )?

You can do both Anilao and P.Galera, just plan your trip well.

paolov:
You can do both Anilao and P.Galera, just plan your trip well.

Hey Midwest,

I agree with Paolo, do both. Cause I really like PG's night life and I'm sure you'll also enjoy it. But that is, if you want to do other things besides diving (both places have excellent diving - although anilao is cheaper to dive).

I'll be honest with you-talking one balikbayan to another-it is very cheap here regardless if you're paying "pinoy" price or not since you'll be paying in dollars. Not only, most of the discounted prices are given to people who patronize the resort/dive shop/restuarant/(insert local establishment here) on a regular basis (this holds true for most long-term establishments anywhere in the world). Trust me when I say that the price you will be paying will be worth it. Just compare the cost of diving here to SoCal or Key Largo and you will feel better about how much you're spending. :wink:

With Boracay, Coco de Oro Villa has some nice huts and are relatively ok priced compared to other places (station 2). Seawind on station 1 also has some nice huts for relatively ok prices. There are a lot of dive shops on the island that you can just drop by and ask to tag along on the next diving trip out. My Tito did this when he came. But yes, the diving in boracay is secondary to everything else it offers but my uncle said that the dive sites have gotten slightly better than the last time he came (about 6-8 years ago). When you do check out the night life there, I recommend Hey Jude (station 2) and Niggy Niggy's (station 1). Actually, I recommend any of the bars on station 1. Have fun! Will you be travelling with companions and/or doing the family thing? Just wondering. Last time I went to Boracay I don't remember much... :cheers:

So, my final 0.2c if you're still bent on paying the "pinoy" price: have your cousin that is fluent in pinoy call the resorts for you. And by fluent, I mean their 'punto' has no 'twang' (as one colleague told me I had). But try be a patriotic Pinoy - the economy really needs the dollars coming in.

We all look forward to your dive reports! Travel safe.

And brooke burke is smoking. sorry, just had to let it out...

Yessss, Brooke Burke is smokin. You're right about about the price. Everything is so cheap there (when converted to dollars anyway). I would like a little night life that's why I'd like to go to Boracay. Diving is great but I'll need some fun things to do between dive days.

Is the diving in Anilao and PG pretty much the same or are they totally different? Just asking coz looking at the map, they're pretty much right across each other. Also, if I want to dive Apo reef, will I have to do a live aboard or is there some sort of day trip that goes out to the reef? Thanks.

chip104:
And brooke burke is smoking. sorry, just had to let it out...

i caught her live on rockstar:inxs this morning.... hubba hubba hubba!!!

Jag

PS
those boots can walk all over me hahahahaha

partridge:
This morning???? Dont you guys work?

lol, nothing gets in the way of Jag and his favourite TV show, Rockstar:inxs! heheh. :D

But seriously, I wish I caught her live too. :wink:

midwestdvr:
Is the diving in Anilao and PG pretty much the same or are they totally different? Just asking coz looking at the map, they're pretty much right across each other. Also, if I want to dive Apo reef, will I have to do a live aboard or is there some sort of day trip that goes out to the reef? Thanks.

The reef systems of Anilao and PG are related. The populations are interconnected and in theory you should see the same biota. But in practice, some argue Anilao is better, others PG. PG has more to offer other than diving, and if you've never been before, I recommend to check it out. It is a nice place to go if you're in the Philippines regardless if you're diving or not.

Do a forum search about apo reef. There's a lot of info about it regarding liveaboards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom