Help Me Choose A Strobe For My Canon A520

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

four_engines

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello

I consider myself a newbie at underwater photography so I need all the advice I can get. I'm thinking of adding a strobe to my Canon Powershot A520.

1. I've a few options: Sea & Sea YS-15 Auto, Ikelite Ds-50 with Manual Control, and Inon D-180S. Appreciate any inputs.

2. Am I right to say that the only ways I can trigger the strobe with the A520 in it's Canon housing are either using Fibre Optic or Slave (ie. Strobe detects camera's flash, and fires its own flash while the camera's shutter is still open?)? I can't use TTL right? And there's no other way?

Thanks in advance!

F/E

Yup, you'll need fibre optic cable or slave sensor with the Canon housing.

I would go with the 220 Inon instead of the 180. I love the control it gives me. Yes, they are being discontinued but there are still alot of them out there. I am adding another one to my setup. Strobes should last a long long time. I still have strobes that are over 8 years old!

Ttl capabitilies are limited in their effectiveness and manual control is the way to go IMHO. When ttl works it's fabulous, when it doesn't it's frustrating!

I would skip the Sea & Sea 15...if you like the Sea & Sea get a more powerful strobe.

You're going to spend some cash on a strobe, no matter what you get. Make sure it is a system that can grow with you as you change cameras/systems! This is not an area I would scrimp on as light is everything in photography.

Back
Top Bottom