D70 Housings...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jkromelow

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I know the topic of D70 (D70S) housings has been previously discussed (I have read the threads). I am interested in an update on housing likes and dislikes. Is anyone usinng the iTTL function of the Ikelite housing? What do you think?

jkromelow:
I know the topic of D70 (D70S) housings has been previously discussed (I have read the threads). I am interested in an update on housing likes and dislikes. Is anyone usinng the iTTL function of the Ikelite housing? What do you think?
I have a D70 with an ikelite housing which I have had me on 30 or so dives. Likes: the transparency - one can see if there is water leaking in (hasn't happened yet). It is easy to assemble. Dislike: a small screw on the inside that came loose during a dive so I could't operate the zoom. Also it seems that the flash has to be sent to Ikelite if the bulb needs to be changed. I can't say if that is an issue yet; my housing is on its way (agony) to ikelite for the iTTL upgrade, I will pick it up with a DS125 strobe + some spares when I travel to the USA in october. Just may go for two strobes, but haven't decided yet. Overall I am very happy with it.

cheers,
Lars

just for grins look at the aquatica D70 housing you can find it at
aquatica.ca

This is a very hardy housing and is constructed every well

Bernie

Hey folks, I own a D70 and am weighing buying a new Ike housing for it. I currently own the DS125 - sounds like I need to mail it in for service if I get the '70 housing?

Also, whither the 8" dome port? Is it out yet?

I have an Ike housing for my Olympus 8080 and love it.

It also depends on how much you want to (or can) spend. I had a Nexus for my D70 and sold it to get a Subal for it with the magnified viewfinder. Both hof these housings are unsurpassed in quality and craftsmanship (and I believe they are the most compact). You will pay a little more for these but you usually do for quality.

Dave

well, I don't have D70 anymore but have used Sea and Sea housing with D70 before. It was ok but was very big in comparison to Subal and Nexus. Ikelite is the only one that support i-TTL with Ikelite strobe. If you want compact housing, Nexus is the way to go and I like its port system very much. Subal is a bit more expensive but the finish is quite a bit nicer than Nexus however the port system is bigger. Subal optional GS viewfinder is a nice add-on but also add significantly to the price. I heard that Ikelite is working on something similar but cheaper. I don't have any experience with Aquatica and not rich enough to even think about Seacam :)

Hm. Guess I will just keep asking questions in hope of answers...

* I have a DS-125 strobe that I bought in January '05. I have looked the thing over from top to bottom and cannot seem to find a serial number anywhere on it.

I'd like to get this sorted as I leave for Australia in a month and it'd be nice if I didn't have to have work done on my strobe (and might entice me to lay out the coin for the D70 housing...)

* 8" dome? 8" dome? Has anyone seen the 8" dome...?

DS-125 strobes produced after September of 2004 will have correct circuitry for iTTL. Remove battery pack and serial number should be stamped on back of strobe head that is covered by the battery pack............

Thank you!!!

Now about that dome...:wink: I notice Adorama & BH are both taking orders for it. Wonder if I could get my hands on one by mid-Oct.

Back
Top Bottom