Iantd Nitrox or Padi Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepocean

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone;

i am trying to cover out which course i should take. I have the option between PADI nitrox or IANTD nitrox. Which one is a better choice? And WHY ? what are the excact reasons why one these are better? Which one discuss the theory and practical part better?

Thank you very much, xerxes

I haven't seen the IANTD material, but I've just been through the TDI and PADI materials. As long as you're only planning to do recreational Nitrox for the foreseable future, PADI would be fine - they have a video which covers the both the theory and practical sides (with more of an emphasis on the practical side), and the test requires you work through quite a number of different dive scenarios using EAD (equivalent air depth) EAN32, and EAN36 tables, to give you experience in calculating max depths, oxygen exposures, etc etc.

TDI cover more of the theory behind Nitrox, making it a better candidate than PADI if you're planning on going beyond recreational diving. I've heard TDI and IANTD are somewhat similarly structured courses.

Hi
thanks for the input. But: so you are saying TDI==PADI+some extra information and lessons about Nitrox.?

xerxes

But: so you are saying TDI==PADI+some extra information and lessons about Nitrox.?
Not really, PADI have a pretty good video that sums most of the Nitrox course up, as well as a manual, and TDI just had the manual, which was very straight to the point full of formulae and tables. What do you want the Nitrox for? If you never plan on doing anything other than recreational diving, PADI would be a good choice, if this is your first steps down a technical path (like me), then IANTD/TDI is probably a better choice. Try and get your hands on the PADI video anyway, it was well worth watching.

PADI nitrox can't be taught in a cave!

Hi

thanks for the info.

Let me get something clear here. Does the IANTD also do the calculations and stuff as much as the PADI?

Abouth the video: i will buy it as soon as i can.

Xerxes

In my opinion IANTD has their standards set a bit higher since they are geared more toward the technical dive community (Basic- and Advanced Nitrox classes are however not regarded as technical diving classes).

The IANTD Nitrox classes are by many considered to be more demanding and detailed, and are therefore highly recommendable.

You can never go wrong with more knowledge and skill when diving Nitrox.

Sincerely

Anders :)

Xerxes,

You might want to check out a ANDI facility and see what they have to offer. The level 2 Complete Safeair course is a bit more then the PADI nitrox course. The information that you get from a ANDI manual seems to be quite a bit more then what you get in a PADI manual. They do not have a fancy film to show you but what you are paying for is the knowledge which makes up for that.

Bruce

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom