Where can I dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sergeantnic

Registered
Reaction score
Just got my OW and itching to get in the water. I live in Tampa and want to know if there's any "local" dive sites closer than driving to the east coast. I know of Crytsal River, Blue Grotto, and the Sugar Barge. Are there any others you guys would recommend?

sergeantnic:
Just got my OW and itching to get in the water. I live in Tampa and want to know if there's any "local" dive sites closer than driving to the east coast. I know of Crytsal River, Blue Grotto, and the Sugar Barge. Are there any others you guys would recommend?

Devils den is good for beginners. It has some nice swim thrus, and isn't nearly as deep as Blue Grotto.( it's right across the road from Grotto) You have to use caution though, there are a few places that are'nt pardoned off and you possibly could get lost. Not likely if you follow the rules though. I dont know where you got certified at but if you wanna take along weekend, you really should go east and check out Pompano or Jupiter. There is also alot of springs that are fun too. My personnel favorite is Ginnie. That is a have to. Keep your eyes peeled for upcoming events here on this forum.
Chris

Also from Tampa and wanting to go get wet
Call me at (813)215-7463 and we can make some sort of plans for this weekend

I think the gulf is done for a while. Don't even know if anyone is going out since the hurricane stirred things up. Like Itote said the springs are great but crowded on the weekends but if you get there early, did ya hear that Chris, early, then it's fine.

The Gulf has been really wierd this season. Between the red tide and the hurricanes, I have not made it out on the West coast all season. Visibility is never great here compared to other locations in the state, but it seems like it's been particularly bad this year.

On the other hand, we've done some fantastic diving in the Keys and in Biscayne Bay, so it's not all bad :)

In Tampa as well. I usually head down to Venice, viz is usually just this side of horrendous but you really only need 6"-1' anyways. Ginnie Springs in G'ville is nice as well but can be a bit pricey if you camp like we usually do.

Actually, I dove Venice Beach 2 days after Charlie and had great vis. My regs are being serviced right now, but I'm probably going there next weekend.

Uh Sergeant Nic, I could not help but notice your USMS insignia there as your avatar. Just to clear up any possible misunderstanding, Mr. adurso was referring "hunting" as in searching for, as opposed to the Marine defintion of "blasting away with everything you got until ain't nothin' left"; and to "fossils" as "prehistoric relics relating to geological epochs" and not "geezers on Social Security". You find a lot of both down there in Venice...
I worked and dived with a lot of jarh... oops, memebers of the United States Marine Corps for years in Hawaii and closely observed some awesome behaviors on their part many times.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom