NW Pacific Typhoons Talim and Nabi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MoonWrasse:
As Guam lies in the path of typhoon alley, I'm curious as to how many typhoons it normally sees during the course of a year.

I believe we have normally around 28 typhoons through a season in this region (I think that this is number 14.). Whether they all go through Guam I don't know. Right now Super Typhoon Nabi is just south of Kagoshima and where I live in north Kyushu we are expecting the eye to pass over or very close to us sometime tomorrow early morning - about another 12 hours or so. It has been raining heavily all day and the wind is steadily increasing. I believe at the moment the wind speed is a constant 100/110mph with gusts up to 160. It is supposed to be strengthening slightly although after it makes landfall it will probably drop a little before it reaches us. (of course you never really know!)

Is the typhoon season concentrated during a few months there ?

Typhoon Nabi batters southwestern Japan

15 minutes ago

TOKYO (Reuters) - A typhoon of similar strength to Hurricane Katrina lashed southwestern Japan with torrential rains and high winds on Monday, cutting power supplies and disrupting transport and oil refineries.
ADVERTISEMENT

Weather officials in
South Korea also warned of flooding, while eastern China braced for possible effects from Typhoon Nabi after the region's previous storm killed at least 84 people in the east of the country, newspapers said.

Nabi was 180 km (112 miles) south of the tiny southern Japanese island of Yakushima at 3 p.m. (0600 GMT), the Meteorological Agency said. Winds were gusting up to 160 km an hour (100 mph) at the center of the typhoon, but the storm was expected to weaken slightly as it passes over cooler water.

The Tropical Storm Risk Web site classified Nabi as a Category 4 storm on an ascending scale of 1 to 5, the same category as Katrina, which hit the U.S. Gulf Coast last week.

Typhoon Nabi, whose name means "butterfly" in Korean, was traveling north-northwest at 15 km an hour (10 mph), heading directly for the densely populated southern island of Kyushu.

The Meteorological Agency expects Nabi to swerve to the east over the next 24 hours, putting it on course to batter much of Japan and southern and eastern parts of South Korea.

Television pictures showed coastal areas of Amami Oshima being engulfed by waves that national broadcaster NHK said were up to 9 metres high.

The Japanese government set up a liaison office within the prime minister's official residence to coordinate efforts among ministries and agencies concerned to minimise possible damage from the typhoon.

Japan's top government spokesman, Hiroyuki Hosoda, said the country's military, police, fire-fighters and coast guard would be put on standby for rescue operations.

He also urged people to stay off rooftops and away from rivers, oceans, paddy fields and waterways.

Hundreds of flights in and out of Kyushu were canceled on Monday, NHK said. Trains were also canceled and expressways closed in southern parts of the island. Nearly 20,000 households were without electricity on Kyushu, NHK said.

Nabi has sparked thunderstorms in Tokyo, where more than 110 mm (4.3 inches) of rain fell in an hour in some areas late on Sunday. Two men were killed -- one drowned and one was struck by lightning -- in areas close to the capital, police said.

Thousands of households in or near Tokyo were flooded and lost power, while some highways were closed and trains delayed. Some bank cash machines were also out of action due to power outages.

Japanese oil refiners suspended waterborne operations at some of their facilities on Monday, refinery spokesmen said.

Idemitsu Kosan Co., Japan's third-biggest refiner, said it had halted waterborne shipments of refined products at its terminals in Okinawa and Kagoshima, both located in southern Japan, because of the storm.

Operations at Idemitsu's refinery facilities, with a total capacity of 640,000 barrels per day, were unaffected, a company spokesman said.

Japan Energy, the refining unit of Nippon Mining Holdings Inc., also suspended tanker operations at its 200,200 bpd facility in Mizushima, western Japan.

Kyushu Oil Co. suspended waterborne operations at its 155,000-bpd Oita refinery in southwestern Japan, a company spokeswoman said.

The large scale of the storm and the low speed at which it was moving mean it would affect Japan for a relatively long time, possibly causing extensive damage, a Meteorological Agency official said.

China's Anhui province took the brunt of the region's previous typhoon, Talim, with 53 people killed and 12 missing. Twenty-six more were killed in Zhejiang province, where Nabi was expected to make landfall.

In Jiangxi province, Talim killed five people, but the toll could rise with 15 people missing inside two buildings buried by a mudslide, reports said.

(Additional reporting by Teruaki Ueno in Tokyo, Jon Herskovitz in Seoul and Guo Shipeng in Beijing)

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050905/sc_nm/weather_japan_typhoon_dc_6

The typhoon season is similar to the hurricane season I believe - starting at the end of July with the main month being September and tail-enders coming into October. It's all to do with the water temperatures rising through the summer. As these rises appear to be getting larger (global warming?) - the events are predicted to get stronger and more often. Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of denial going on in some quarters, although in Japan they take it very seriously and have made many more preparations than some. It still doesn't stop the damage and loss of life though, although it probably mitigates it a lot.

Well this one is moving veeery slowly and is nowhere near where I thought it would be this morning. It's still tracking directly to my house :11: but we are only now beginning to enter into the full storm. It will probably take another 9-12 hours or so until the eye reaches us and another similar period of time until it has passed enough to the north to put us out of the red - potentially dangerous - area. Right now it is packing winds up to 110mph and moving at about 12mph. Rain forecasts are around 700mm for all of Kyushu. There is something basically unsettling about watching rain move parallel to the ground!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom