Helping Katrina Search and Rescue efforts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jessejean

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone...I haven't been on Scubaboard for a while, but I was just wanting to find out if anyone knows anything about ways we as divers could get involved in the efforts in New Orleans. It seems that they are doing a gigantic amount of S & R, and will continue to be doing so. Apparently there is a big problem with the stranded pets also, as long as victims and body retreival. I've tried to find info from Coast Guard, Red Cross, ect. but see nothing about how to become a dive volunteer if there even is such thing. The scuba community can help....

Anyone?

jessejean:
Hi everyone...I haven't been on Scubaboard for a while, but I was just wanting to find out if anyone knows anything about ways we as divers could get involved in the efforts in New Orleans. It seems that they are doing a gigantic amount of S & R, and will continue to be doing so. Apparently there is a big problem with the stranded pets also, as long as victims and body retreival. I've tried to find info from Coast Guard, Red Cross, ect. but see nothing about how to become a dive volunteer if there even is such thing. The scuba community can help....

Anyone?

Try www.selsar.org Not sure that you'll be able to get thru at this time.

This is the kind of thing you have to be trained in advance. Untrained vollies with the best of intentions are just adding to the problems...Send cash. Your best way to help.

jessejean:

Anyone?
As I said in another thread, it's hard to let others "do it" when we just know we could do something with our skills as divers. But... if we really want to help, the best thing we can do is to make our treasure - whether that be money, things, talents and/or time - available to those who are running the rescue efforts, and to those in need close to us.
Call your local Salvation Army or Red Cross. Their immediate need is money, but eventually they may be able to accept things like bedding and cleaning supplies or even volunteer work. If you *really* want to help and are close enough that there are escapees in your area, consider providing shelter for one or two until they can go home.
While we may chafe at not being able to use our talents as we feel would best meet the needs, we just have to allow those in charge to do their jobs and offer what we can offer, even if it ends up being just $1.98.
Rick :)

I am the independent auditor for one of the largest Red Cross Chapters in the nation.

I can vouch that all funds earmarked for a disaster go to Red Cross National for the intended purpose.

I can't vouch for National (ask Pricewaterhouse) - Lets hope that the folks in need receive the assistance.

Considering the logistical nightmare it seems to be down there, I think the best thing we can do is donate to the Red Cross right now. Meanwhile, where is the government on the national level?

hi guys, my last message was just before katrina's landing in florida, and for the last 6 days we had no power. eventhough i live aboard a sail boat we had a huge wind and our canal not very protected, but not much problems on our boat with normal gusts up to 80 knots and nothing compare to what happened to Louisianna mississipi and new orleans. I'm french and used to work in france for the French Civil Security before we left sailing and operated onto kobe earthquake rescue and hurricanes in the french antillies, and i am quite aware of the difficulties everyone has to face right now to try to help, rescue, save and clear up. Every one of us would love so much to be there and help of course, and i've read so many complaints about things not going fast enough. There will always be complaints wether political, or else. I also believe that this place is not a place where there should be at this time so much controverses
I think the people working there are doing a great job and facing so much problems with the flooding of course, human problems and all those appearing when communities have lost every thing.
I will help in donating to the red cross, and hope others countries will help too. I think this is a too big catastrophe to spend time to find who can be found guilty ... except katrina.
all my thought goes to the desperated people left homeless or even without family
nathalie

HHmm you can ask Colones Cristen of the Unitet States Air Force Europe how much emty space she can set free in her Area must be over 30.000.shwe have a moveforce of inconstant abel Aircraft off 10 trans Al and else Militari Cargo Flightcraft. and not under 1000 Airfoceguard.in her comand that is 1 phonecal and a shame when move your own ppl to a exequateire Airbase.

7*)I have not sen a Satalite picture yet off that)

jessejean:

Anyone?

Can't see them needing divers. Trying to negotiate those waters would be exceptionally dangerous and could add to the body count, plus the resources needed to support the divers (transportation, boats) is more desperately needed by those there. They may need some after the critical situation is under control (people dying) to assess and help repair levees, but those would be specialized divers, not volunteers.

Red Cross is always a good bet. That's why they're there.

For specific concerns about the stranded animals, and reuniting people with their animals, since some refused to leave because they wouldn't leave their best friends behind, there's an organization called Noah's Wish that responds specifically to animals in disaster situations. They were rescuing farm animals to try to help rebuild people's livelihoods and vaccinating dogs to stem disease outbreaks during the Asian tsunami, and I believe in this crisis, they were taking pets from people to foster homes until their owners could find permanent accommodations, as well as trying to rescue stranded animals, though clearly the priority with out and out rescue attempts right now is getting the people out of there. I'd never heard of Noah's Wish, but I saw them on the news, so donated to them as well as Red Cross, as much as I could afford to both. No diving this weekend, but well worth it.

That kind of diving would be hazmat, it requires training, the right gear, and decontamination stations. It's basically diving in sewage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom