I need advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

graham_ep

New
Reaction score
I am a year 13 student (last year of school) in London and am planning on taking a years break at the end of the year.

One thing I would love to do is become a diving instructor. I have heard of dive schools where they will take you on as a worker and pay you nothing or very little in return for free training. At first you work in the shop and then when your qualified you start to lead dive groups.

I have looked around for somewhere but cant find anything. I am wanting to go from Advanced Open Water (current qualification) to an Open Water Instructor.

If anyone knows of anywhere where this is done it would be a lot of help to me.

Many thanks
Graham

I would just start calling some of the big ops in the Key Largo area.... They may work out the deal you are talking about.... they have enought divers each day and I would say it is possible. If you can get enough people to post...thats 2cents each post..then you may be able to pay for the lessons yourself. That's like what 3 million posts?

You may also look into some of the ops in thailand. After the disaster there last year many ops are rebuilding and you may be able to work out something with one of them. Especially if you are able to take care of your own living expenses. Be prepared though to provide all of your own gear. Good luck. I wish I was able to do it at this point in my life. Right now I'm happy with free air & nitrox fills and discounts on gear and courses. Being affiliated with a shop or operation is a great learning experience. Not only as a diver but in dealing with people. I've been exposed to many different types of personalities and ability levels that will go along way towards helping me with my IDC and being an instructor in my own right. Jim PADI Master Scuba Diver and Divemaster Candidate

Hi Graham!

I already did what you're planning to do, and so far everything's going quite well. I went from OpenWater to DiveMaster in about 3 months and was able to pay off all the expenses I incurred after about 4 months of guiding for the resort that certified me. I did it with Atlantis Dive Resort in the Philippines, here's their e-mail if you want to contact them for details: info@atlantishotel.com

goodluck!
marku

marku:
Hi Graham!

I already did what you're planning to do, and so far everything's going quite well. I went from OpenWater to DiveMaster in about 3 months and was able to pay off all the expenses I incurred after about 4 months of guiding for the resort that certified me. I did it with Atlantis Dive Resort in the Philippines, here's their e-mail if you want to contact them for details: info@atlantishotel.com

goodluck!
marku

I was just there. A nice, clean operation, a lot of tanks to be carried!

Good, attentive D.M.'s, used their pointers on the reef as walking sticks, but really made the diving much more enjoyable and safer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom