New Reef Exposed After Katrina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MB

Obi-MB-Kenobi
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Jo and I spent a couple of hours exploring Deerfield Beach yesterday. This was our first dive on the site (Trespassers' Ledge, just south of Hillsboro BLVD) since Katrina. There has been continual sand shifting since last year's hurricanes, and the recent dredging of sand out near the 3d reef line has complicated the inside patch reef. The beach sand looks great, but there's been a LOT of sand on the reef since last year. Much of the shallow reef has been covered. In fact we dove there Aug 21, several days before Katrina, and it was difficult finding much reef or the flat ledges. The sand has shifted some over the months, but there just wasn't much structure. So our exploration yesterday was to see whether Ms Katrina had uncovered reef, or further covered it with the new beach sand.

There is a lot of newly exposed reef. We picked up patch reef at 8', with nicer structure between 10-12'. We explored a bit south, but not far. Due to current and boats, we mostly worked north. We ran a zigzag pattern between 10 and 24', not as far as the pier, but closing in on it. Beyond the newly uncovered reef and ledge, there was mostly sand out to 24', with occasional hints of exposed grass or flat reef. At our northern turning point, it looks like the reef at about 16-20' might open up again, but we'll explore that next time.

What's new here is a significant ledge facing east. In 5 years of diving Hillsboro I've seen only flat layered ledges, with 2' or less relief. Now, there is a ledge with 5-6' of relief facing east. Its cool. My best guess is that approaching storm waves washed the beach sand out to create a sandbar on the old hardpack, then the surge scoured the sand out from under the old reef and exposed the old (buried) ledge. Mind you the reef is beaten up, but there's a lot of new nooks and crannies, and we brought home some keeper shells.

Today's weather kept us home, but if conditions clear we'll explore more tomorrow. The whole area south by the hotel looks active, and the section approaching the pier could be exposed as well. We'll see. Meantime, while the corals & vegetation are hurting, the fish life was active. Tarpon, turtle, lots of Spanish mackeral, and the usual reef guys. No squid yesterday.

Cheers

Wow, this is cool! I cannot wait to get in the water at my place & see what has changed. Keep us posted on your findings, MB,

Marvel:
Wow, this is cool! I cannot wait to get in the water at my place & see what has changed. Keep us posted on your findings, MB,
Yes Ma'am, I'll be waiting to serve...

cool!

Nice - wouldn't it be great if the reefs were unburied and began to come back to life?

Friday/Saturday: Nothing new unfortunately north of the LBTS pier. We started at the mooring bouys and dropoff beginning about 3/4 miles north of the pier and worked our way north and then west back to shore in the water.

I thought there was a bit more life, and even snared six lobster over the 3-hour trip. But the actual reef condition was pretty much the same as its always been here.

Do I hear the faint echo of Coooonnncccchhhh Paaaaaarrrrttttyyyyy....... ? :wink:

I think that is the same area I took a friend to snorkle about the same weekend (8/21) and yes it was buried. That'd be definitely sweeeet to have such a near-shore site.

Now if we could only get the local lifeguards to allow kayakers to sneak just past the rocks to launch. They HATE kayaks!! Most lifeguarded sites do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom