http://www.diveheart.org/

Red Cross needs your help for Katrina victims

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guymenton

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just helping to get the word out. Although they have gotten most evacuees out of New Orleans and are in a recovery mode in New Orleans, the Red Cross will need all the help it can get to run the hundreds of shelters it is setting up around the neighboring states, for many months to come. I was a refugee from VietNam, coming here with nothing, and I owe a great debt to this country, and seeing the horrible images both saddens me and moves me to take some kind of action. If it was a disaster in California, I'd want my fellow Americans to help too. Please help me spread the word! This information applies to my local area, but you can donate directly by calling 1800HELPNOW, online at redcross.org, or volunteer at your local Red Cross.
---------------------
With the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, many Orange Country residents want to help.

Here’s what you can do:

ORANGE COUNTY RED CROSS
The Red Cross has initiated a special hotline for inquiries about Hurricane Katrina. Call (714) 384-0754 for information on donations and volunteer opportunities. The Red Cross is specifically looking for individuals who have already received the following training:
• CERT
• Citizen Corp
• Sheltering training
• Other specialized disaster/first aid training

Disaster Workers Critically Needed!

The Red Cross is also offering a free introduction to disaster service for volunteers who are willing to travel and volunteer at the disaster site for one to three weeks as part of the national Disaster Services Human Resources (DSHR)system. Classes are currently being set up and participants must pre-register. Call (714) 481-5300 Ext. 5337 for specific times and dates

Financial donations are critically needed.

Go online to www.oc-redcross.org or send check to:

American Red Cross of Orange County
% Hurricane Katrina
P.O. Box 894324
Los Angeles 90189

I got a call at lunch today from a friend who was calling from the national Red Cross disaster relief headquarters for Katrina - located right here in Montgomery AL, not five miles from where I was eating! I had no idea!
By 3 this afternoon the Lovely Young Kat & I were down there helping out; she with finding lodging for volunteers in Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama and I solving nitnoy computer problems for them. Looks like we'll be able to put in a few hours a week for ... they estimate a year!
Happy to help; wish it weren't needed...
Rick

Hi Rick, that's great to hear that you've found a way to help. I saw the thread you started on another forum, telling people how to help - great job. There's a lot of us here in California who want to personally help but are some distance away -- I'm waiting for the local Red Cross to train us in Disaster Services, and hopefully be sent to help in a shelter in one of the neighboring states soon. Wow...a year...and that is just the beginning for the half-million displaced people who must rebuild their shattered lives, after losing everything. Good luck to you, Rick, hope all goes as well as can be.

Rick Murchison:
I got a call at lunch today from a friend who was calling from the national Red Cross disaster relief headquarters for Katrina - located right here in Montgomery AL, not five miles from where I was eating! I had no idea!
By 3 this afternoon the Lovely Young Kat & I were down there helping out; she with finding lodging for volunteers in Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama and I solving nitnoy computer problems for them. Looks like we'll be able to put in a few hours a week for ... they estimate a year!
Happy to help; wish it weren't needed...
Rick

You guys, I've sent money because I know that's the only thing I can do... But I can't take it - all I've seen are these poor souls, animals too, just trying to survive and dying.... HAT'S OFF TO ALL THE HANDS-ON FOLKS DOWN THERE! I wish I could help.

Hey, thats great. Sending money is the next best thing to being there ourselves.

mrobinson:
You guys, I've sent money because I know that's the only thing I can do... But I can't take it - all I've seen are these poor souls, animals too, just trying to survive and dying.... HAT'S OFF TO ALL THE HANDS-ON FOLKS DOWN THERE! I wish I could help.

I know from seeing habitat work, they are really in touch with the needs of people. I have done a lot of diaster work on my own, and it is one of the best ways to help. Not everyone gets everywere, and you are not limited by a play book.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom