How far for an airfill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vtdiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In another thread, we are discussing using LDS and internet dealers, and I wondered how many LDS have been put out of business by not being able to compete with the 'net shops, how it's affected their former customers in terms of number of dives they now do versus what they did before, and how far you have to drive to get an airfill now.
I'm not looking to bad mouth the 'net shops, but am looking to see how they are affecting divers around the country.
Thanks,
Chris

8 years ago, there were 5 shops within 20 miles of my home. 4 have closed up and there has been one new startup. I don't believe any of the 4 closed directly because of the internet. On one the owner took up with a student much to his wife's chagrim! He sold out to a couple incompetents who took it under in less than a year. Another the owner died. The third, the owner retired. And the 4th, the owners decided to focus on their other businesses.

Air fills are just a mile detour from my drive from work. It's a good little shop with a small internet presence. Not getting rich but surviving. We talked about shopping around and found we both buy our cars at the same place - the place with the best price. I give him a shot at most of my business. He sometimes tells me to buy online when he can't compete. He says he is making enough profit on air fills at $4 a pop. He rarely is critical of other shops, even the internet variety.

On Grand Cayman I can get airfills 300 yards away. However, it is no longer possible to get one here after 5:30 PM. The LDS which used to stay open until 9 PM now closes at 5:30 like everyone else.

With gas prices going where they are, I bet a lot more clubs and groups of divers are going to look into buying their own compressors and air banks.

Two blocks for a local dive shop, 1 mile for a dive boat, 3 miles to Divers World. LeisurePro is at my fingertips with the best prices.

The local shop has been there about 25 years and has a good customer base.

DennisS:
Two blocks for a local dive shop, 1 mile for a dive boat, 3 miles to Divers World. LeisurePro is at my fingertips with the best prices.

The local shop has been there about 25 years and has a good customer base.

Great for local diving, but I can remember driving 30 or 40 miles out of my way to a shop while travelling sometimes to find it closed. (Pre cell phone era)

The internet alone can't be blamed for these shops closing. It's the world econmic model that's changing. if a store/shop doesn't change, then it will get left behind. Ths doesn't matter if it's a dive shop or any other type of shop.

How many "TV/VCR Dealerships" are still in business? I remember when I was a kid going to the "TV Dealer" with my dad to buy a TV. You don't have those any more. When the first VCR's came out, you could only buy them at a TV dealer. Now if you want a TV or VCR, you buy it at a "Superstore" or online. It's the economic consumer purchasing model that changed.

As for dive shops, some have changed and some haven't. Even if they don't
have an "online store", they all mostly have a website. A dive shop without
a website for contact info, directions, etc., is leaving itself behind in the times.
Funny how they realize this, but still bash online sales (because it cuts into
their profits).

I would say that we've had more local dive shops here close due to poor
management than anything else.... most of them closed even before you
could buy stuff off the internet (10 years ago). We now have one left
in the town I live in and about 5 more in the 45 minute drive radius around us.
One of the stores 5 times more business than all the others since they
actually stock items and are price competitive with the internet. Mostly
because they operate an internet store themselves. So they've changed
with the economic times while yet another store announced it was having
a going out of business sale.

mike_s:
The internet alone can't be blamed for these shops closing. It's the world econmic model that's changing. if a store/shop doesn't change, then it will get left behind. Ths doesn't matter if it's a dive shop or any other type of shop.

How many "TV/VCR Dealerships" are still in business? I remember when I was a kid going to the "TV Dealer" with my dad to buy a TV. You don't have those any more. When the first VCR's came out, you could only buy them at a TV dealer. Now if you want a TV or VCR, you buy it at a "Superstore" or online. It's the economic consumer purchasing model that changed.

As for dive shops, some have changed and some haven't. Even if they don't
have an "online store", they all mostly have a website. A dive shop without
a website for contact info, directions, etc., is leaving itself behind in the times.
Funny how they realize this, but still bash online sales (because it cuts into
their profits).

I would say that we've had more local dive shops here close due to poor
management than anything else.... most of them closed even before you
could buy stuff off the internet (10 years ago). We now have one left
in the town I live in and about 5 more in the 45 minute drive radius around us.
One of the stores 5 times more business than all the others since they
actually stock items and are price competitive with the internet. Mostly
because they operate an internet store themselves. So they've changed
with the economic times while yet another store announced it was having
a going out of business sale.
That's not what I asked.....I asked if your LDS has closed, how has it affected your diving, and how far do you have to drive to get your air now. Internet shops are already being debated on other threads. Please don't change the subject.
Chris

Vtdiver2:
I wondered how many LDS have been put out of business by not being able to compete with the 'net shops, ...

I'm not looking to bad mouth the 'net shops, but am looking to see how they are affecting divers around the country.
Thanks,
Chris

Chris

I thought Mike was answering your question.

awap:
Chris

I thought Mike was answering your question.
You're right, he did...guess after 2 paragraghs of the "same ole net vs LDS" BS I stopped reading. My apologies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom