Disaster Relief - SCUBA Support

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsdancey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm posting this message here to get the widest possible viewership, though I suspect it might have a better topic elsewhere.

I'm wondering what, if any support the SCUBA community can provide to the people in the hurricane disaster zone. With the city of New Orleans flooded, I expect that divers in some capacity are needed on a regular basis.

Has anyone heard or seen any information on efforts to organize dive teams to assist with body recovery, facilities inspection, etc? If so, please post contact info here.

Thanks!

Ryan

I personally havent heard of anything yet. I'm looking at heading down there with a group on Friday for two weeks, and I have my gear ready to go, just in case.... but I can't imgaine that for the time being its the safest place to dive.... Conditions would be unstable at best... (I could be wrong, however.) If I do head that way, I'll try to get on here and let you know whats up.

K

You would need to dive a drysuit and be certified for cave (overhead obstruction) diving, most likely. I am going down later in the month and that is what I've been told.

Certain Public Safety Divers are being called in, I believe. Specialty training/capabilities, not an environment for normal divers. Check the PSD forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom