Bluewater Divers of Key Largo, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trwmodela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Saturday morning 09/03/05 I drove to Key Largo, FL for diving with Bluewaters Divers. Calling ahead I made reservations for a 2-tank dive on Sat. afternoon and Sun. morning. Saturday diving was great at Snapper Ledge and Pillar Coral Reef, the seas were clam and visibility was over 50 feet.

Sunday morning the boat was scheduled for a deep wreck dive at USCG Cutter Duane. The Duane is an advanced dive with experience required. My log book only shows 12 dives and my OW certification was July of 2005. Bluewater Divers advised me if I wanted to do the dive I could pay for a instructor as a buddy. Since I plan on taking my AOW in September I though this would be worth the additional expensive.

Sally was my dive instructor from Bluewaters and she was great! On the boat she went over in detail how we would do the dive. We reviewed the Recreational Planner dive limits in case our computers failed. Upon arriving at the wrecks center mooring buoy a strong current was noticed by Bluewaters crew. At that point the DM explained how to handle the current upon descend and ascend.

Entering the water I grabbed the line and followed Sally slowly down the mooring line. The current was STRONG and was nothing I had ever experienced. Taking our time we reached the smoke stack at mid point of the superstructure the depth was about 90 feet. Sally let go of the line and I followed her, current was no longer an issue. We accessed several swim-troughs in the superstructure. Visibility on the main deck was over 75 feet and quite amazing. Sally was constantly asking me to check my SPG. Also, I monitored my computer closely. At the point my computer showed only 4 minutes left without decompression time we started our ascent. (my SPG showed 1100 psi.) Swimming back to the mooring line and soon ascending we felt the strong current. It took both hands to hold onto the line and ascend. At 18 feet we did our safety stop like flags blowing in a very strong wind. After reaching the surface and getting back in the boat everyone commented about the strong current. Our second dive of the day was a drift dive.

Many thanks to my instructor/buddy Sally of Bluewaters Divers from Key Largo, FL for a great experience. My log book only has 14 dives but now I have a deep wreck and drift dive to my background.

Accommodations: I would recommend the Holiday Inn at Key Largo, FL. It is located next to Bluewater Divers. You can walk from your hotel room to the dive boat!

For a great Diving Adventure on a boat that holds 10 divers try Bluewaters Divers!

Say Hi to Sally, Brent and Glenn for me.

http://www.bluewaterdiver.net/

NOTE: For those of you that think I was crazy to do such a serious dive with only 12 dives logged. My background is 21 years as a Professional Firefighter. Since the age of 16, I was trained in using SCBA for firefighting. This experiance helps greatly in becoming a good SCUBA diver. Without years of breathing and working in SCBA in the fire service the deep wreck dive would of not been possible.

An excellent dive op! Glad you had an enjoyable & safe experience!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom