My first dive in cold water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ron_cooper

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have just gotten back from Newfoundland diving in Conception Bay. I had contacted Ocean Quest Adventure about diving on any of the four wrecks located just off of Bell Island. These are ships that were sunk by a German U-boat during WW-II. There depth ranges from about 65 ft to 130 ft, if my memory serves me correctly. We set up what I would like to do in conjunction with what was required for my advanced open water dives. Everyone at Ocean Quest was very helpful. The rentals prices seemed very reasonable and boat dives were also a great value. There is also a lodge next to the dive shop if you need a place to stay.
I wanted to try the first dive wet to see what the water would be like for my first cold water dive. At first having on all the extra pieces for the exposure suit was a bit uncomfortable, this included a full 7mm suit and a second 7mm shorty suit, hood, gloves and boots then the extra 20 lbs of weights. My first dive was a deep dive to the ship PLM-27, as we descended I couldn’t tell what the visibility was, as there was nothing to focus on, around the 30 ft level I could see the ship. Descending further I noticed what seemed like a faint glimmering layer below me, passing through it I realized it was a thermocline that I was told about. I wasn’t expecting the water temperature change to be that noticeable through a thick wet suit though. The temperature was 45 degrees. I didn’t know where to look first there was so much that was new to me. My instructor pointed out a number of things to me, I was amazed at how well preserved the ship was after being sunk so long ago. After swimming around the stern deck we entered a cargo hold and descend to 85 ft to do the required exercise for the deep dive. I still felt quite normal and was able to complete it taking twenty seconds longer than on the surface. The total dive time I was down was 25 minutes, my guess is because of the cold water and the excitement I really went through the air.
I also got to try out using enriched for my navigation portion of the AOW. After the test portion we swam around and I got to catch a few lobsters, the largest we got would have been about 5 lb. To bad I couldn't keep them. There were also lots of crabs in the area because of the fish plants scrapes that are dumped in the water.
For my second day of diving I couldn't seem to get myself comfortable, still not sure what it might have been. But I called the dive off an sat on the boat, it was still a good day talking to the other divers who have dove the wrecks many times.
The second wreck dive was on another cargo ship, we swam over about a quarter of the ship looking into doorways and holes in the ship. There were pieces plates, portholes, and spare parts that were on the ship when it sunk. I was also shown what looked like short pieces of one inch brass pipe, when I turned it over to look at the one end I realized it had a primer cap, these were case of machine gun shells.
On the shallow dives that I did there was also a lot to see. I wish now I would have looked up what the names of the fish and animals were before diving. All in all I thought it was an incredible dive and will definitely do it a few more times when I go back to St. John’s, Newfoundland. I would highly recommend this trip to anyone.

ron_cooper:
I also got to try out using enriched for my navigation portion of the AOW.

Glad to see you enjoyed yourself. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the above though. Did you dive enriched air? Are you certified for that?

As part of the the many possible types of dives I could do one was to dive using enriched air. The whole time you are with the instructor and before the dive you have to complete a learning portion in the manual. This also included how to read the dive tables used for the different percentages of O2. You also are shown how to test and verify that you are getting the correct blend that your dive is planned on. I should also add that this is only an introduction, to dive with enriched you would need a lot more knowledge. In the future after a lot more dives I will also get that training.

Ron
Where have you done most of your diving? Being from inland I guess it was vacationing South or in Freeshwater. Being from Nfld. I guess I'm spoiled. I only started diving this year and most of it has been in a 7mm Farmer John and Jacket, with hood, gloves, boots...... To me that's normal. It's nice to hear from people that had this as a different experience.

I know 45 degrees is defined as cold in the books, but now it's 34 and soon will be 32. Actually below the thermocline now it goes below freezing. But the vis is GREAT. Plankton doesn't grow well in "COLD" water. I haven't gotten to the Bell Island wrecks yet this winter, but with the added vis they should be really great. If the dock isn't too bad I'd like to try Spoon Cove. A very interesting and deep shore dive spot if your ever back this way.

Enjoy

Sue

What a story Ron, You guys are much more brave than I. My definition of cold water is anything below 70. And anything below 60 is just plain crazy! I guess I'm just used to the warm water dives, haven't ever done the cold stuff, not sure that I will but it's interesting to read about, thanks for the post.

How's the vis at those temps Scuba Jerm? I found here that when the temps. get up to 50 the vis goes way down 10-30 feet. Yes I did say up around 50. Dry suits are great I'll tell you. My last wet dive (7mm full suit, so 14mm over the body) was water at 34 and air at twenty something (-5 C) that was CCOLDDDD. I'll tell you I was glad I wasn't far from home because I din't chnge until I got into the shower at the house. I then ran the hotwater heater dry. 3 days later I was doing my drysuit checkouts. The mobility isn't as good but arctic fleece is warm.

Sue

Nice post Ron! Thank you!! Sounds like a really great time. I really have to check this out at some point, WOW!!! Sounds like the wrecks I need to be at!

Nice story Ron. I also did my first "cold" water dive 2 weeks ago in Key Largo. Being from south Florida I'm used to temperatures well above 80 degrees. This particular dive was 69 degrees the coldest I've ever dove. I know that's nothing for you guys from up north, but my buddy and I were freezing!! It was a good experience and I also got to try my new Canon A620 for the first time. I enjoyed it a lot and would definitely do it again.

jeferpat:
Nice story Ron. I also did my first "cold" water dive 2 weeks ago in Key Largo. Being from south Florida I'm used to temperatures well above 80 degrees. This particular dive was 69 degrees the coldest I've ever dove. I know that's nothing for you guys from up north, but my buddy and I were freezing!! It was a good experience and I also got to try my new Canon A620 for the first time. I enjoyed it a lot and would definitely do it again.

Next time wear a wetsuit :)

Paul in VT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom