another lousy western Lake Erie dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster1

Reaction score
I am ready to throw in the towel when it comes to diving this far west in Lake Erie, I think I am going to try east of the Pelee Passage. Today my dive buddy and I go to dive the Wilcox.
This wreck was found in the early 90's it sunk almost a 100 years ago, is split in half and everything is still there.
it is very shallow, so lots of down time; but after 3 attempts in a row in the last 2 years we still havent seen her. Visibility zero (nada). to boot I get really sick. I was starting to feel sick from my boat rocking so much as we were gearing up and I thought I would be ok as soon as I got in. 15 mins later abort the blind dive and surface. Now on surface I am rocking with the waves again and feeling sick and dizzy and nausiated. I begin dry heaving and ask my buddy for help cuz with the dizziness and the 100 percent humidiy and what feels like 100 degrees, I am having problems. he helps by getting my 20 pounds of lead off then the bc, I manage enough energy to get in the boat but am exhausted.
Icing on the cake some how on the dive I lose my snorkel... go figure.
Moral of the story I am litterally sick of diving in the muck!;-0

The only good point is the water temp was 70 degrees already

Come east young man, come east.

The diving this way is great! Well most of the time anyway. :wink:

Originally posted by Rooster1
. I was starting to feel sick from my boat rocking so much as we were gearing up and I thought I would be ok as soon as I got in. 15 mins later abort the blind dive and surface. Now on surface I am rocking with the waves again and feeling sick and dizzy and nausiated. I begin dry heaving and ask my buddy for help cuz with the dizziness and the 100 percent humidiy and what feels like 100 degrees, I am having problems.

I agree with DG go east young man.

PS. Don't join the navy :jester: It just wouldn't work :D

Originally posted by DivingGal
Come east young man, come east.

The diving this way is great! Well most of the time anyway. :wink:

Yeah east really sounds good and I have seen some websites with pics and all that you can actually see the wrecks east of here. I usally go North to Toby (6 hour drive) and often go to Sarnia (1 hour drive through the states and then back into Canada.) Problem is.. I would like to see something other then Sarnia and driving to Toby and heading east is a long haul to be doing every weekend or other weekend. I think I live in the wrong part of the woods.:( :D :( :D

Yeah east really sounds good ............. I think I live in the wrong part of the woods.:( :D :( :D

Rooster,
I really do understand where you are coming from. I live on the shores of Lake Erie in Michigan, where the lake averages 12 feet. Only part of the Great Lakes that are not divable!!!!! I head north to Lake Huron or the Straites of Mackinac. Yes, as divers we definately live in the wrong part of the Great Lakes!

Yeah east really sounds good and I have seen some websites with pics and all that you can actually see the wrecks east of here. ...

I've grabbed charters on the last weekend in September with DiveDude (Big Jim) and there are still a few unconfirmed spots --- why not come and join the gan?

Rooster - some good diving to be had north (and west of Toby if your in the area) Lake Superior and Mackinaw Straits.....wrecks,wrecks, and more wrecks. Water still a bit on the cooler side - we had 46 degs in the lake this past weekend.

Try to find the Lost Yooper.....word is he's DM'ing somewhere in the Mackinaw Staights......

We're going to Lime Island this coming weekend, and Copper Harbour in 3 weeks..... something like 12 shoredive wrecks and 10 more by boat ???? Something like that anyway......:rolleyes:

SS

Originally posted by ScubaScott
Rooster - some good diving to be had north (and west of Toby if your in the area) Lake Superior and Mackinaw Straits.....wrecks,wrecks, and more wrecks. Water still a bit on the cooler side - we had 46 degs in the lake this past weekend.

Try to find the Lost Yooper.....word is he's DM'ing somewhere in the Mackinaw Staights......

We're going to Lime Island this coming weekend, and Copper Harbour in 3 weeks..... something like 12 shoredive wrecks and 10 more by boat ???? Something like that anyway......:rolleyes:

SS

ScubaScott are you saying that all these shore dives are WRECKS??

Can you give directions please??
And how warm does the water temp get let say between beginning of july to end of August? cuz that sure sounds like a dandy of a 3 day weekend trip with the dive budddy (even if we got to play hookey from work. According to my calculations we take tunnel to Detroit hop I75 north and we could be there in lets say 4-4.5 hours. which aint to bad, I've gone further, but 12 shore dives thats a no brainer.

Originally posted by wrecNcaver

Rooster,
I really do understand where you are coming from. I live on the shores of Lake Erie in Michigan, where the lake averages 12 feet. Only part of the Great Lakes that are not divable!!!!! I head north to Lake Huron or the Straites of Mackinac. Yes, as divers we definately live in the wrong part of the Great Lakes!

wrecNcaver where you located at?? like monroe area?? near the Furmi plant? you ever take charters out of sanilac or algonlac and the Lexington Mi area up In lake Huron?? I heard good diving to be had there.

wrecNcaver where you located at?? like monroe area?? near the Furmi plant? you ever take charters out of sanilac or algonlac and the Lexington Mi area up In lake Huron?? I heard good diving to be had there.

Yup, you know my neighborhood! I use to do charters out of sanilac and Lexington, there are some decent wrecks. My neighbors niece got married on the Mary Alice B, a tug, in a underwater wedding off Lexington. There is also the Regina, the Sport and the North Star.

But if you want really nice wrecks, I go the extra distance to the Straits of Mackinaw. The lexington area does have several good wrecks, but the wrecks in the Straits can't be beat. Not sure who is doing charters as the boat I used in Lexington now is up at the Straits.

I also heard there are some wrecks around the Put-in-Bay area in Ohio. )At least Lake Erie is deep enough to dive there) Not sure what is there though. If you have a boat, it would be a straight shot over.

So how close are you...close enough to call neighbor?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom