going pro? Economics of diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kensuguro

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi, I'm wondering how the economics of a pro diver works. Say, you got up to assistant instructor... (or one of the higher instructor levels) then what? Is there some sort of system to deploy newbie instructors? Like a "help wanted list"? Or is going "pro" a sort of hype that takes much more than simple training to achieve?

Here's the thing. I'm just a newbie open water, but I currently have the luxury of spending lots of time to train, and also some money to spare. So, I was guessing that it may be possible to go pro if the job awaits at the end of the line. But, I've not seen enough of the business side of the industry to make a good judgement of whether my investment of time and money will actually lead to a job. (with an okay income)

So, if someone can fill me in on the general atmosphere of the industry, I'll be more than happy. Slap me in the face if I'm making a joke of myself.

Why not just dive for a while? Get some experience with that. Take some more classes (since you think you might want to teach, see what is being taught), work your way up through Rescue, and then see if it's something you still want to do. All of that (and more) would have to be done anyway, so why not just do some more (and varied types of) diving for right now? Have some fun with it.

WileEDiver:
Why not just dive for a while? Get some experience with that. Take some more classes (since you think you might want to teach, see what is being taught), work your way up through Rescue, and then see if it's something you still want to do. All of that (and more) would have to be done anyway, so why not just do some more (and varied types of) diving for right now? Have some fun with it.

It's funny to see this "have fun with it" attitude when it comes to newbies looking for career possibilities. For college/university folks, they're expected to choose quickly, often without much experience, as to what they aspire to be for the rest of their lives.

I don't know anything about the economics of diving. But, I say, if you enjoy something, give it a whirl unless you have something better to do. More experience is always better for you, so keep going, and if at some point you don't want to continue the education side of things, then stop. You can always back out later.

- ChillyWaters
p.s. btw, yes, I do think the collge/university way is a bit whacked.

WileEDiver:

I'm going instructor in a couple of months and have no expectation of making a living out of it. The impression I get is that it takes a lot of initiative to make a decent income. Most guys I know who do that owns a shop or resort and courses are only part of the total income. If you go work in Asia or whereever, from what I hear you can cover living costs by local standards and have some added pocketmoney - and the easiest way to get such a job is to know the right someone - especially if, like me, youre going to be a "young" instructor divewise.

I'm doing it

1. For the added experience
2. Because it makes my diving cheaper and affords me extra opportunities
3. Because If I can make a little extra on the side, teaching and diving - fine.
4. Because I'm getting someone else to pay for it (No I'm not a Rich Kid ;0).

It's no package deal - so I'm with above quotee.

happy diving

kensuguro:
Hi, I'm wondering how the economics of a pro diver works. Say, you got up to assistant instructor... (or one of the higher instructor levels) then what? Is there some sort of system to deploy newbie instructors? Like a "help wanted list"? Or is going "pro" a sort of hype that takes much more than simple training to achieve?

Here's the thing. I'm just a newbie open water, but I currently have the luxury of spending lots of time to train, and also some money to spare. So, I was guessing that it may be possible to go pro if the job awaits at the end of the line. But, I've not seen enough of the business side of the industry to make a good judgement of whether my investment of time and money will actually lead to a job. (with an okay income)

So, if someone can fill me in on the general atmosphere of the industry, I'll be more than happy. Slap me in the face if I'm making a joke of myself.

Getting work isn't a problem. Getting paid for it is. Pros (as hard as it sounds and as hard as it is to admit) are a disposable commodity in the dive industry.

If you want to make the really big bucks you could always go and shake the oil out of the fries at McDonalds.......seriously!

R..

Hi,

I'm at a similar point as kensuguro, and thinking about going divemaster/assistent instructor.

I'm not in it to make 'serious' money, but I AM wondering how realistic it is to find work as a divemaster and get paid in diving/lodging/food and some pocket-money?

Also, I've seen 'divemaster internships' being advertised: about 3 months full-time diving, courses from OW to divemaster, food/lodging.
Does anybody have experience with these kind of programmes? Maybe a recommendation?

At last: I'm new to this forum, and have been looking for a sub-forum more specific about divemaster-ing, as I would love to hear experiences from others that are living and working like this...

Best,

Job

I've alway thought the same as you but after this weekend of diving realize my sinuses wouldn't allow me to dive full time. It is hard work also but if you get in the right outfit it can be fun. You may have to travel.

okay, so I guess I'm beginning to see a vague picture. Atleast from within the limits of this thread of course.

So it is very hard and competitive to actually make a "living" out of just teaching diving. It's no wonder many people do combinations like do shops, own boats, etc.. which totally makes sense. Sounds to me like instructing is like a part time kinda thing? And maybe not the best way to start paying mortgage? (just to put it in scale)

But oh well, it's something solid I can learn, and since I enjoy it so much, I am quite happy to continue my education. Quite expensive though, if it's not going to atleast pay for itself. (once I get to divemaster atleast) I'll give it some thought.

And it the meanwhile, it's off to diving I go!

Perhaps you might opt in to the instructer forum and resubmit this thread there. Go right to the horses mouth so to speak.
All the dive masters and instructors I know have day jobs. Of course I'm up in the wilds of Wisconsin. Even in Florida though, I think it would be a tough swing to go full time. Best of luck.

Jim

SwimJim:
Perhaps you might opt in to the instructer forum and resubmit this thread there. Go right to the horses mouth so to speak.
All the dive masters and instructors I know have day jobs. Of course I'm up in the wilds of Wisconsin. Even in Florida though, I think it would be a tough swing to go full time. Best of luck.

Jim

Hi Jim,

like your suggestion, but the 'instructor to instructor' forum, if that's the one you're referring to, is a private one... open only to DM's and instructors. Since I'm not yet one, but hope to maybe become one, I'm afraid it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation here...

Is there maybe another forum that's more suitable for this topic?

Cheers,
Job

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom