Underwater Propulsion Devices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrscubastar

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a scooter. Any input on best brands etc???

The one I'm looking at is a Dolphin, only rated to 20m/65ft tho, and I would like something I can safely take to 30m.

Also, are these things usually neutrally buoyant or do they float away if you let go of it?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Why not get the GTI version?

For recreational diving I think this is a good scooter when you look at the cost vers performance/fun factor. I dive with a Silent Submersion scooter and the 2 are not even in the same ball park, yet from what I have seen the GTI is a fine recreational scooter. You can even take it on hollidays.

I'm a fan of the Apollos myself. Small enough to carry but with enough power to really get you around.
If you can afford the Gavin or new DiveRites, they are utterly fantastic.

Not a big fan of the Scooby doos,, I mean Sea Doos. A bit small for my taste.

I have an X-Scooter and it has been flawless. I have the Standard version as well as a long body for it. The standard version is very light and easy to travel with and is excellent for light shore diving and diving off of boats. We use the long version for our longer shore dives where we are going to have 90+ minutes on the trigger. I've had mine well over 200' and I know people who've had them to over 400' and they've been perfect everytime with no issues.

A skateboard is good for little trips down mainstreet from store to store. Kick to the next store, step off, go inside and browse. Then walk outside and kick to the next store.

If you want to see a lot of terretory, you use a bicycle. Bicycles, though, are a bit more of a pain to hop off of, flip down the kickstand, and peruse the store.

The GTI is a skateboard. You don't go very fast, it's easy to stop and check out the moray, it is a pain in the wrists if you want to cover some distance.

Gavins, Silent Submersions and X-Scooters are bicycles. You cover great distances at speed with very little effort, but, to stop all the time and look around, it's a few more steps: stop, unclip, park the scooter; then, to get going again, you stow your camera, pick up the scooter, clip on, pull the trigger.

Bicycles cost more than skateboards, too. Figure about $400 for the GTI vs about $3500 for an X-Scooter.

Another point of view: Gavins, SS and X-Scooters fall into the relm of life-support equipment, and the GTI is an accessory.

All the best, James

Thanks for the advice and input guys! Looks like I've got some more research to do! I didn't realise there were so many brands of the things - we only have a couple available here in ChCh, I might look at importing one from the US.

Just got one from ebay only goes 2mph but better then spending hundreds of pounds / dollas, as its for pure fun factor should be good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom