SCUBA and sick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

naturaldiver

Reaction score
I finally got my wife to try SCUBA. It was an easy pool dive with a local, reputable dive shop. She said that she was OK at first but then had felt like she had problems breathing and some ear pain. Afterward she complained of a pain in her side and of being sick for the rest of the evening. It was an easy, shallow dive with an instructor so I don't see DCI or AGE being an insue. The next day she was OK.

Any ideas? I'm trying to get her interested in diving.

Roger
PS. She is on an antidepressant and taking an NSAID.

Maybe she really doesn't want to dive...:D

Seriously, the antidepressant shouldn't be a problem in the pool. Maybe it was the rigors of something new and not quite getting the hang of equalizing. Even at 10ft it may be a problem for some people. Hopefully, she get better and give it another go.

Good luck!

Jack

naturaldiver:
I finally got my wife to try SCUBA. It was an easy pool dive with a local, reputable dive shop. She said that she was OK at first but then had felt like she had problems breathing and some ear pain. Afterward she complained of a pain in her side and of being sick for the rest of the evening. It was an easy, shallow dive with an instructor so I don't see DCI or AGE being an insue. The next day she was OK.

Roger
PS. She is on an antidepressant and taking an NSAID.

Sounds like equalizing issues along with Gut Squeeze to me.
But then.... What do I know I am a computer programmer :wink:

In a pool makes me wonder, How Deep?
Could be the strain from the weight of the equipment or many other issues.

Maybe I'm being simple but depending on degree of fitness the pain could be just an overstretched muscle from handling the gear. Cooling wouldn't make it better.

naturaldiver:
I finally got my wife to try SCUBA.

IMO there's your problem right there. I've had so many students who were pushed into diving by a S/O and they either never finish or they finish and never dive again. Diving isn't for everyone please don't try to get her to dive, let her make up her own mind.

While I have no doubt her symptoms were real, they were probably brought on by her anxiousness and maybe some physical exertion.

BTW, Did you tell the LDS about the meds she's on? Did her Dr. ok her to dive?

Dave

akscubainst:
While I have no doubt her symptoms were real, they were probably brought on by her anxiousness and maybe some physical exertion.

I'll second that. Stress can make you feel ill and greatly contribute to actually getting sick.

For some people diving is just too stressful and these people cannot be made comfortable in the water.

I s she the type of person who has spent time in the water doing other activities so she is comfortable being in the water in the first place ?

ScubaSarus:
I s she the type of person who has spent time in the water doing other activities so she is comfortable being in the water in the first place ?

Yea, she actually likes to swim around and we free dive in the pool. She especially likes to do hand stands, so she likes the water. I'm sure hoping I can get her to do it again and things will go better. I'd sure like to have a handy dive buddy! Thanks for the advice and suggestions!

Roger

If by chance, in 10-15 ft of water what with all the excitement and trying to clear the mask, retrieve the reg, etc, your spouse might have swallowed a couple good gulps of air, then the resulting gas pains as the bubble works its way through the system might indeed be described as a bad pain in the side that could last the rest of the evening.

I just read a thread in another forum where the writer took a gulp of air at depth and later upon surfacing thought he was gonna die until relieved by one big belch.

natural:
Yea, she actually likes to swim around and we free dive in the pool. She especially likes to do hand stands, so she likes the water. I'm sure hoping I can get her to do it again and things will go better. I'd sure like to have a handy dive buddy! Thanks for the advice and suggestions!

Roger

Maybe she is nervous at trying something new. Like starting a new job you are stressed about everything and it will take her a while to get used to the equipment and breathing underwater. Have her practice even before getting int he water clearing her ears, that will make it easier for her to clear them when she starts descending.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom