Testing a strange buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

serambin

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So as not to hijack the other thread, I would like to get techniques for evaluating a buddy hookup on a dive boat. I will be diving in Mexico early next year and will not have a buddy with me. The dive charter company assures me they will get me a buddy, but how do you judge the competence of a put together buddy? Under what circumstances would you pass on the dive?

i'd just chat with them and find out if they have dived a lot or regularly - they should tell you if they take a long time to equalize/descend and you can arrange for them to just trail you from above until they can come down.....
- usually the people who were certified some time ago and rarely dive are the worst, regular divers are the best (and usually self sufficient), and newbies are fun - as they enjoy it when you point things out for them......i'd usually dive with anyone at least on one of the dives, but if they were a nightmare (or had completely different interests) I'd tell the dive charter to put them with someone else or the guide.....[i.e. i'd never pass on the dive, but would pass on the "match up from hell"]

...many times in Mexico, you'd be diving in a group led by a guide, which would limit the need for you to really do that much...hopefully if they ran out of gas half way into the dive the guide would let them go up to the boat without you having to handhold (e.g. they'd shoot a bag and the person could follow the line and get picked up)......

Just talk to them before the dive and ask questions. Some people may be able to BS you on the boat, but the longer you talk to them the harder it is for them to fool you.

On vacation trips you can get horrible buddies, but you can also meet some really interesting people as well.

serambin:
So as not to hijack the other thread, I would like to get techniques for evaluating a buddy hookup on a dive boat. I will be diving in Mexico early next year and will not have a buddy with me. The dive charter company assures me they will get me a buddy, but how do you judge the competence of a put together buddy? Under what circumstances would you pass on the dive?

People lie. You can't ever "know the competence" of someone until you dive with them. But you can improve your chances and increase the odds of getting a good buddy by running them through the gauntlet.

I know I'm a good buddy. I expect the same from my insta-buddy - so I take the time to be sure I get the pick of the litter on any boat I'm on. I'm worth it. So are you. This person has to be there if/when it hits the fan. They need to be able to get you out of a jam. Some Insta-buddies are up to the task. Some simply become my nearby drifting back up gas supply. Once in awhile you get a gem and a friend for life.

Here's what I do:

First, the elimination round (aka: the big 3):

* I never dive with Hunters

* I never dive with Rebreather divers

* I never dive with the morbidly obese

If the prospective buddy isn't any of the above, they're still in the ball game.

Now to the preference list:

* I prefer to dive with DIR divers

* I prefer to dive with skilled women

If none of the above two can be easily or visually discerned, we go into the lightening round:

Look at them

1) Gear - take a look at their gear configuration, condition and brand. If a prospective buddy is a hippie diving a two hose vintage reg and a plastic back pack, they may be an fine diver but we're not seeing eye to eye. I pass. If the gear is later than the Carter administration, OK. Do they look like a Christmas tree with bobbles and bells hanging all over the place, or do they look a little more together? Is this person diving the yellowed remains of the 4-window mask they bought for their OW class in 1985? Are they diving Dacor or Atomic regs? Backplate or horse collar? Computer or sundial? Pony bottle? Do they have a dive light? Do they carry a slate or some kind of device to write on? DIN or Yoke? Imperial or Bars? You can tell a lot about a person by the care, condition, configuration and brand of gear they dive.

Speak with them

2) Experience - How many dives, in what environment? Cold water through pounding surf, or have they been once-a-year resort divers in warm water all their life? Does their experience include diving in conditions like you'll be diving today? Have they been here before? Have they ever had an OOA, been separated from a buddy, been bent, lost their way back to the boat, etc? What is their training? OW in the Nixon era and they're just starting to dive again, or has there been continuous, escalating education and training? Are they Nitrox certified? Experience means a lot to me, but relevant, recent and real experience means more to me. If someone has 75 dives in these conditions over the last 6 months, but has only been diving for 2 years, I'd take that person over someone with 300 dives 10 years ago. I hold experience (again, real, recent and relevant experience) over "skills." Meaning I'll take someone who's been diving a lot over someone with their DM, their peak performance buoyancy, their rescue diver, their night diving, their navigation, photograph and fishie ID badge and all of 35 dives.

Get to know them

3) Attitude - are they regaling you and anyone else within earshot about the time they wrestled a giant squid into submission, while doing an air share with their buddy at 145 feet? Are they quietly setting up their rig in the corner of the boat and keeping to themselves? Go make conversation. They could just be shy - I am, for sure. The best insta-buddy experience of my life is when she came over and talked to me. Is this person giving off a confident vibe, or is it all bravado and no substance? Are they focused and excited about the trip, or are they nervous and not confident because its a new site or a new rig or not their regulary buddy? This is your dive trip, so go make polite conversation - you don't need to love this person, or even really like them - you need to be able to work as a team underwater.

I've been very lucky. I boat dive a lot, and insta-buddies are a part of life. The only time I've had bad experiences are when I violated the big 3. I've had mediocre trips when the pickin's were slim, and I've made some poor choices, but I've never a bad experience except when I blew past my own rules and violated the big 3.

Others will post their tips. These are mine. YMMV.

Enjoy.

---
Ken

PS: where are you going in Mexico?

Mo2vation:
People lie. You can't ever "know the competence" of someone until you dive with them. But you can improve your chances and increase the odds of getting a good buddy by running them through the gauntlet.

I know I'm a good buddy. I expect the same from my insta-buddy - so I take the time to be sure I get the pick of the litter on any boat I'm on. I'm worth it. So are you. This person has to be there if/when it hits the fan. They need to be able to get you out of a jam. Some Insta-buddies are up to the task. Some simply become my nearby drifting back up gas supply. Once in awhile you get a gem and a friend for life.

Here's what I do:

First, the elimination round (aka: the big 3):

* I never dive with Hunters

* I never dive with Rebreather divers

* I never dive with the morbidly obese

If the prospective buddy isn't any of the above, they're still in the ball game.

Now to the preference list:

* I prefer to dive with DIR divers

* I prefer to dive with skilled women

If none of the above two can be easily or visually discerned, we go into the lightening round:

Look at them

1) Gear - take a look at their gear configuration, condition and brand. If a prospective buddy is a hippie diving a two hose vintage reg and a plastic back pack, they may be an fine diver but we're not seeing eye to eye. I pass. If the gear is later than the Carter administration, OK. Do they look like a Christmas tree with bobbles and bells hanging all over the place, or do they look a little more together? Is this person diving the yellowed remains of the 4-window mask they bought for their OW class in 1985? Are they diving Dacor or Atomic regs? Backplate or horse collar? Pony bottle? Do they have a dive light? Do they carry a slate or some kind of device to write on? DIN or Yoke? Imperial or Bars? You can tell a lot about a person by the care, condition, configuration and brand of gear they dive.

Speak with them

2) Experience - How many dives, in what environment? Cold water through pounding surf, or have they been once-a-year resort divers in warm water all their life? Does their experience include diving in conditions like you'll be diving today? Have they been here before? Have they ever had an OOA, been separated from a buddy, lost their way back to the boat, etc? What is their training? OW in the Nixon era and they're just starting to dive again, or has there been continuous, escalating education and training? Experience means a lot to me, but relevant, recent and real experience means more to me. If someone has 75 dives in these conditions over the last 6 months, but has only been diving for 2 years, I'd take that person over someone with 300 dives 10 years ago. I hold experience (again, real, recent and relevant experience) over "skills." Meaning I'll take someone who's been diving a lot over someone with their DM, their peak performance buoyancy, their rescue diver, their night diving, their navigation, photograph and fishie ID badge and all of 35 dives.

Get to know them

3) Attitude - are they regaling you and anyone else within earshot about the time they wrestled a giant squid into submission, while doing an air share with their buddy at 145 feet? Are they quietly setting up their rig in the corner of the boat and keeping to themselves? Go make conversation. They could just be shy - I am, for sure. The best insta-buddy experience of my life is when she came over and talked to me. Is this person giving off a confident vibe, or is it all bravado and no substance? Are they focused and excited about the trip, or are they nervous and not confident because its a new site or a new rig or not their regulary buddy? This is your dive trip, so go make polite conversation - you don't need to love this person, or even really like them - you need to be able to work as a team underwater.

I've been very lucky. I boat dive a lot, and insta-buddies are a part of life. The only time I've had bad experiences are when I violated the big 3. I've had mediocre trips when the pickin's were slim, and I've made some poor choices, but I've never a bad experience except when I blew past my own rules and violated the big 3.

Others will post their tips. These are mine. YMMV.

Enjoy.

---
Ken

PS: where are you going in Mexico?

Cozumel. Thanks for a very well thought out and articulated response.

Stan

I propose you cut his air hose while ripping off his mask and clocking him in the head with a rock while at 85' in a current.

That's the only real way to tell if he's a good buddy or not.

[edit: I missed the bashing on the other thread, so I had to throw my nonsense in here instead. Apologies in advance :wink:]

Mo2vation:
Imperial or Bars?

Nice post Ken!

I'm curious though - what has the above to do with anything? If you want to dive all over the world then IMO you need to be able to handle either.

wedivebc:
What's up with that?

Jealousy? :D

Seriously though - I wouldn't either. Why not? Because I wouldn't have much of a clue how to help you if you got into trouble - and unless you were carrying a decent sized OC bailout system I wouldn't be sure how much you could help me either.

The scoop:

Rebreathers - what Kim said. I have no idea what's going on with your electronics and scrubber and counter lung and all that foofoorah. I can't get you out of a jam. Its simple. I gotta know you're rig if I'm going to dive with you. Plus, we have very different MOD's. If you wanna go see something deeper than I can go, I'm diving solo (been here, done that... no thanx)

Bars v. Imperial - its no biggie. You just gotta know before you hit the water what your buddy's gauges look like. Case in point: I dived with a Euro on a 3 day trip. Sweet guy, competent diver - but for the first day I had no idea how much gas he had left in the can. I now carry a Bar to "real" ( :wink: ) conversion chart in my WetNotes so I don't get stumped again.

---
Ken

Back
Top Bottom