What kinda problems will I encounter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidHickey

Contributor
Reaction score
Kingsman, Ohio. Near Wilmington and Waynesville
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm an admitted Hoover and was trying figure out a way to get more bottom time. I stopped by my LDS at lunch today and spoke with the owner about a larger tank. He told me going up to a 100cf would probably run me about 350.00 but he wasn't really sure as the prices have been going up and he hadn't ordered any in awhile. BUT he said he had something in back that I might be interested in. "Kinda felt like he saw me coming!!!!" He has a Aluminum 140cf tank that needs a current Hydro which he said runs 32.00 He said it belongs to one of his customers who wants to get rid of it. He wants 200.00 for it. He said new it was around 500.00 Sounded great at first but he was saying something about it being almost 20 pounds negative? In my 3mm i usually only use 12 pounds. Any thoughts on jumping to a tank this big? I thought an 80cf Aluminum was 6 pounds negative, so I find it hard to believe a 140 would be 20 pounds negative. Anyhow being a newby it sounds great but there has to be draw backs or everyone would have one!!! I realize its probably heavier than the 80cf tanks but being as my Fiancee is 120 and handles her 80cf and I'm 245 I figure I could probably handle the extra weight. Any thoughts would be appreciated
David

What's your dive experience? A bigger tank isn't always the solution.

Ditch the aluminum and check out steel tanks.

Never seen a 130 AL. Be sure of the bouyancy characteristics.

100AL tanks are close to 80AL tanks for weighting purposes. I use them. New they run about $200 to $225 around here. Used they can sometimes be had reasonable, I just bought 2 with new hydors & VIP's for $80 each.

A 100cf tank is a nice thing. I wouldn't advise going bigger than that just bc you're a hoover. I'd suggest that you learn to breath & make an actual effort to improving your air consumption. Won't happen overnight but it will happen.

DavidHickey:
I'm an admitted Hoover...

I thought an 80cf Aluminum was 6 pounds negative, so I find it hard to believe a 140 would be 20 pounds negative....

Anyhow being a newby it sounds great but there has to be draw backs or everyone would have one!!! I realize its probably heavier than the 80cf tanks but being as my Fiancee is 120 and handles her 80cf and I'm 245 I figure I could probably handle the extra weight. Any thoughts would be appreciated
David

Umm, new divers (like me) are usually hoovers. No big deal there. If you're a hoover after 100 dives, maybe an issue.

80CF Aluminum tanks tend to be slightly negative. I have seen some that are 3# negative, some closer to 6# negative (luxfer). But you don't really know how negative a tank is unless you have it's specs, or you measure it. I'd be VERY wary of buying ANY tank if I didn't know how negative it was full and empty.

Lastly, you might want to be careful about thinking of tank weight on the surface versus in the water. If that tank really is 20# negative when full, it will be like diving double 130s. If you have a BC failure, you are going to resemble an anchor under the water. Particularly if you are diving in a wetsuit. I have serious reservations about a dive shop owner who'd put someone into a tank like that without helping them understand the ramifications. Especially a newbie.

For $200 you are well on your way to a nice steel tank, or you could have an nice AL80 with valve.

Just my opinion.

Look around for a faber 95-98 for about 250.00

Forget about that 140 CF cylinder, heavens knows what that is.

First be patient with yourself different divers get their breathing and consumption to settle down at different rates. That being said it's highly likely that you will never match a female buddy whose weight is half yours. It's just a matter of life sciences and physics.

My wife and I are new divers and she is the bigger user at this point in time but she is closing the gap. Give it time. If you're getting nice dives there is no shame in one diver coming back with extra air. In fact it's a nice contingency!

If you want to move up I'd consider a steel cylinder that remains neutral or heavier when empty. This will get some un-needed weight off your belt and lower your overall mass while giving you more air to work with. The PST-E7-100 is a darling with a going price around $350. Remember to evaluate weight and buoyancy independenty when making a choice, they each have implications.

You are also correct that you need to end up with enough ditchable weight to get out of trouble. In a 3mm suit the buoyancy loss is minimal. If you see yourself going to 5mm or 7mm the weight you will want ditchable to make up for lost suit buoyancy in the event of a BC failure will climb. That will be easy to achineve since you will be wearing more to begin with. You just don't want to incorporate too much of it into the tank. Being in Ohio I see heavier wetsuits in your future so steel starts to make even more sense.

Finally, I almost forgot to mention this one.... Between scuba outings get out there and skin dive. It will boost your comfort in the water, let you establish good oral breathing (deep & steady) , give you a good cardio workout, tone your legs for swimming and slash your air usage. I honestly belive that is what made a huge difference for me. It's a great way to scout future dive sites!

Pete

DavidHickey:
I'm an admitted Hoover and was trying figure out a way to get more bottom time. I stopped by my LDS at lunch today and spoke with the owner about a larger tank. He told me going up to a 100cf would probably run me about 350.00 but he wasn't really sure as the prices have been going up and he hadn't ordered any in awhile. BUT he said he had something in back that I might be interested in. "Kinda felt like he saw me coming!!!!" He has a Aluminum 140cf tank that needs a current Hydro which he said runs 32.00 He said it belongs to one of his customers who wants to get rid of it. He wants 200.00 for it. He said new it was around 500.00 Sounded great at first but he was saying something about it being almost 20 pounds negative? In my 3mm i usually only use 12 pounds. Any thoughts on jumping to a tank this big? I thought an 80cf Aluminum was 6 pounds negative, so I find it hard to believe a 140 would be 20 pounds negative. Anyhow being a newby it sounds great but there has to be draw backs or everyone would have one!!! I realize its probably heavier than the 80cf tanks but being as my Fiancee is 120 and handles her 80cf and I'm 245 I figure I could probably handle the extra weight. Any thoughts would be appreciated
David

I say go high pressure steel, but it also means that you're gonna have to convert your reg into DIN setting. Otherwise you can also work on that breathing. I'm still yet to see an experience diver that hasn't improve his/her air consumption since their first dives.
Besides, imagine how difficult it's gonna be carrying that monster (130? 140?) around the dive sites, or even just up a boat for that matter. Why bother with all that and an outrageous price while you can just practice more to compensate?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom