Diving Shape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nikkey

Reaction score
I have a bad knee and it just started bothering me when I am freediving. I am relatively new to the sport but I am constantly in our pool with my fins to strengthen my techinique and to get used to swimming with fins instead of feet. Sooo I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about out of the water exercises that would help. When I work out I do mostly cardio and only a few weight machines so maybe thats my problem? Thanks~

you did not specify what cardio you use. I would suggest a recumbent bike or elliptical machine. minimal joint impact. much better for the knees than regular jogging or running. I would also suggest any machine that will allow you to work the upper thighs, hamstrings, and glutes without going to extremes as far as weight while maintaining relatively high number of reps but there is no need to crank them out full speed. the other thing that works to strengthen the thigh and may help your knee is to swim with fins on while on your back. try to keep the leg straight and on the upstroke just your fin tips should break the surface. if your knee comes out of the water your'e probably bicycling more than kicking with your fins. when swimming with fins on the surface or underwater your knee should bend as LITTLE as possible. use the major muscles in your thighs and glutes to do the work, relax your ankles and the fins will work as they should. the more the knees bend the less efficient the kick. I'm sure you know alot of this but I try to be specific and provide as much info as I can when a question is asked. My instructor is like this and it's made me a better diver. Jim PADI Master Scuba Diver and Divemaster Candidate

Can't think of any "out of pool" exercises that would equate to fin kicking other than the old flutter kick while laying on your back, but that's more abdominaly oriented. Won't do much for your knees.
Have you tried Zoomer fins? http://store.yahoo.com/trioutfitter/zotrfi.html
They're about thirty bucks in most places. But I'm cheap. I found a pair of cheap snorkeling fins for 19 bucks, and cut about six inches off of them, so that they resemble the Zoomers in function. I go out in the river with them and tow my waverunner around with them. You could do the same exercise in a pool just pushing a wall.
Great cardio workout.
And yes, try to keep your legs straight so you don't bicycle.

Get a large coffee can and place it behind your knee as you lie on the floor. Extend your leg through several repetitions, without weight on the ankle at first. Add weight as the strength is gained. This is a great exercise for rehabbing a knee and developing the lower quadriceps, essential in good knee health. You can place a towel around the coffee can for added height and comfort.
Also, don't neglect the imortance of ankle strength, esp when using long-blade fins. strong ankles will prevent the fins from "side-slipping" and will allow for a more effective engagement of water.

This is an interesting thread. I was wondering if I could do the coffee can exercise with my legs over the arm of the couch while the rest of me is laying on the couch or would this flex the knee too much?
I don't happen to have a coffee can and I tend to spend a lot of time in the aforementioned position with my laptop on my chest while surfing or watching DVDs.
I have a bucket if the couch is a no-no, would that work?

Gidds:
This is an interesting thread. I was wondering if I could do the coffee can exercise with my legs over the arm of the couch while the rest of me is laying on the couch or would this flex the knee too much?
I don't happen to have a coffee can and I tend to spend a lot of time in the aforementioned position with my laptop on my chest while surfing or watching DVDs.
I have a bucket if the couch is a no-no, would that work?

Keep in mind, this exercise was generally used for rehabbing knee injuries. You would not want the knee suspended (esp with any weight on it) if you have an injury as this may place undue stress on the knee itself. Otherwise it should be fine, you're simply doing a leg extension exercise that develops the quads but doesn't target the knee as much as the coffee can routine.

Back
Top Bottom