new to diving and need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lozzin

Reaction score
Hi, i'm 19 years old and after rejecting a few other potential career choices ive decided to become a profesional diver. right now the only certificates i have is my open water certificate with only 6 dives, and i'm feeling a little overwhelmed. i really don't know what kind of certificates i'd need in order to be hired by a dive shop or resort, or how to even get employed by one of these. so if anyone has any information or knowledge, regarding anything they'd like to impart on me it would help alot.

lozzin:
Hi, i'm 19 years old and after rejecting a few other potential career choices ive decided to become a profesional diver. right now the only certificates i have is my open water certificate with only 6 dives, and i'm feeling a little overwhelmed. i really don't know what kind of certificates i'd need in order to be hired by a dive shop or resort, or how to even get employed by one of these. so if anyone has any information or knowledge, regarding anything they'd like to impart on me it would help alot.

if its what you really want then you can further enhance your diver education. rack them dives up and eventually after reaching your dm status you can start guiding people or working for several dive ops and shops. im sure these guys are looking for a helping hand. eventually you can be an instructor and teach people. course of action is really up to you, the way i see it you wont have peoblems looking for a dive job at the very least,

lozzin:

Hi lozzin
Glad you asked you have certainly chosen a great career.
Now to your ??'s depending on the type of work you want to do , I'm guessing recreational most people will employ dive masters to guide paying customers on dives they run on thier boats. Buy in most cases prefer an instructor because they are more flexible and can do both jobs. Now depending on the certification agency you choose (ssi,padi,naui,etc,etc) they all have certain requirements before you can reach the more professional levels such as number of dives, experience ,etc. Now the best way to find out what is required is to contact a instructor training facility your local dive store should be able to help you out.
Hope it all works out for you and good luck with it.
Stuey2

:icecream1 Hi there lozzin, I just wanted to make you feel welcome, when I joined many people introduced themselves. On Scuba Board, you will find there are many informative divers here. It’s a good place too, for meeting other divers. If you ever want to talk feel free to PM me.

Enjoy being a member and Safe Diving. From Matt.

I hate to burst your bubble but being a professional diver isn't really a well paying job.

But don't let me discourage you. Start by diving a lot and see whether you like it or not.

There are ads in the back of scuba diving magazines it won't hurt to contact them an ask questions. Hope you make the right decisions many have dove for money but only few stay with it for years. First 2 years you may just be a tender.

Aloha Lozzin

As others mentioned. Dive dive dive! Try to get out diving as much as you can.

If you are going the PADI certification route, then Divemaster level is going to be the first professional (paying - although not much) level certification. To get there you need to:

1. Sign up for your Advanced Open Water Certification at your LDS (local dive shop)
2. Next take some Specialty courses (including Nitrox)
3. Get your Emergency First Responder and Rescue Diver certifications
4. Start your Divemaster certification (this takes time and a lot of diving)

The PADI website may also be a helpful resource for you: http://www.padi.com

If it wasn't clear from the above list, getting to a point to work as a diver, you will need to invest $$ in taking more classes, purchasing your own dive gear and diving as often as you can.

Best of luck to you!

Aloha

Welcome to the board. You are a new diver. Don't try to go from new diver to Instructor in one day. Take your time and enjoy diving. You have to develop that really deep love of the sport to make a career out of a low paying job. There is nothing wrong with make diving your career, just give yourself time to enjoy it first. If diving is what you were meant to do, then it will be there when you are ready... Don't rush it, just go with the flow and see what happens. Good Luck....

You might try our Ask the Instructors forum, and check our New Divers forum as well...

:bndit_2: don

And don't be shy about posting. Click Forums above, tour the long list of choices, and jump in anywhere you're qualified. PM me with any questions, and I'll try to find a pretty good answer.

lozzin:

www.padi.com

I'm not suggesting that you pick PADI, but the site contains some of the info you are looking for.

You need to DIVE, and DIVE a LOT. Being a good DM/Instructor is IMO about three things, being a great diver, having the necessary qualifications, and being a good teacher, and enjoying helping/teaching other people.

You need to hook up with a good Dive Shop/Instructor, and start your training.

For many agencies you need AOW, Rescue, CPR certification, and and then you can start on the DM program assuming you have enough dives.

If you are planning on staying in BC, you will also need a Drysuit! :D

Good luck, and ohh to be 19 again!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom