Need a hand signal for "Wow"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Underwater vocabulary is just too limiting. Yes, I can say I'm okay, not okay, out of air . . . but how does one say, "Wow, that's an incredibly cool octopus!" Or, "I can't BELIEVE how many warbonnets we're seeing!" Or, "I'm having WAY too much fun here."

Am I going to have to learn American Sign Language?

There is one . . .
Sea Signs gives the sign for "WOW!!!" as:
the right hand is held above the shoulder with the wrist bent at 90 degrees.
The open fingers are pointed toward the head.
Move the hand at the wrist to and fro (kind of like the old "hot stuff" hand signal)

But be carefull, this could be mistaken for a gang sign if not done properly. :D

dlndavid:
But be carefull, this could be mistaken for a gang sign if not done properly. :D
Actually, I think it means to throw a slider.

I know! Everythime I tell my buddy, "That's great" or "Really cool", we end up going to the surface!! :) :thumbs_up

:newbie:

Randy

The Kraken:
There is one . . .
Sea Signs gives the sign for "WOW!!!" as:
the right hand is held above the shoulder with the wrist bent at 90 degrees.
The open fingers are pointed toward the head.
Move the hand at the wrist to and fro (kind of like the old "hot stuff" hand signal)

Make sure your buddy recognizes the sign(s) as you add them to your underwater vocabulary. We use a few of the Sea Signs.. like Beautiful. At first, we tried to add several at once but during the were dive there was confusion on what was being signed.

DrDuktayp

That's what I use, but I intrepret it as "Cool!"

Diver0001:
I use the "hang loose" sign

The hang loose symbol is cool but could be mistaken for a thumb in some circumstances, so I do a similar one where I extend the pinky and index finger :wink:

I can't open Diver0001's 'hang loose' sign at the computer I am right now. It might be the same as our 'cool'
which is the very youthful (hopefully not gangish) right hand up with thumb, index and pinkie straigh up and rest of the fingers bent towards palm.

Does this sign have any other meanings? It seems to be widely understood?

Back
Top Bottom