Need a Little Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubageezer

Reaction score
I dive dry with a Mares Vector 1000 and an 80 steel. I use my suit for buoyancy control (pleeeease, let's not argue that one). I'm fairly large and carry 24 pounds with my normal undergarments, 20 in the weight pockets, 4 in the back.

My problem (well, at least this problem) is that I have a veeeery, veeeery slight tendency to go head down (or feet up if you prefer). It's easy to correct, just one of those niggling issues that can bug the hell out of you. A friend suggested small ankle weights but I just plain don't want something hanging off my feet. I know there must be some way to trim myself out, but after shifting my weights, repositioning my tank and the like, it still seems to be the same. Losing a little of this large a.. I'm carrying around isn't an option.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Lower your tank on the band is all I can think of but 1 lb ankle weights will make a lot of difference and I use them all the time.

Ankle weights can be useful. Don't rule them out before trying them.

Only other thing I can suggest is practising a slighly different position in the water (ie a little head up.

Is your drysuit tight around the body but loose in the legs? That could contribute (Seen it before)

Good luck!

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

Tried lowering the tank a bit with no success. Maybe I'll try a bit more. Don't want to lower it too much - I'm not a real flexible person and reaching back to my first stage is hard enough.

Suit fits well throughout, so I don't think that's the problem. Damn, maybe I'll just have to give the weights a try, or lose some of the posterior (Nooooooo).

Have you considered getting some ScubaPro JetFins or Turtles ? - they weigh a little bit and may help to push your feet down a wee bit.

I use turtle fins (like DIR ankle weights) with SS spring straps. It's the only piece of equipment I own the DIR guys approve of.

Scubageezer:
I dive dry with a Mares Vector 1000 and an 80 steel. I use my suit for buoyancy control (pleeeease, let's not argue that one). I'm fairly large and carry 24 pounds with my normal undergarments, 20 in the weight pockets, 4 in the back.
I don't know how to answer you because what you don't want to discuss *is* your problem.

If you use your suit for buoyancy control, you have a "roving bubble" -- when you get the least bit head down, the bubble moves to your feet, making the problem worse.

By diving with your suit "shrinkwrapped" around you and using the BC for buoyancy control you will no longer have this problem.

Roak

Geez,

You can get a 6 lb tank weight. I have seen these for sale recently. It is a strap type weight. If you have a tank boot you can strap it low on the tank just above the boot. That will help you to be more horizontal if not more head up. If you don't have a tank boot to help keep the strap weight from silpping off then buy a weighted tank boot then if you have to you can add a tank strap weight to that. That will get 10 or 12 pounds at least a little lower on your body.

2 lb ankle weights work well and if you snug them up good around your ankle you won't even know they are there, I promise.

My dry suit has straps just above the top of the boots that can be tightened to help keep large amounts of air from getting into the feet. This seems to help also if you make them tight. You may have to where a little more insulation on your feet in really cold water but you shouldn't really notice it otherwise.

roakey:
By diving with your suit "shrinkwrapped" around you and using the BC for buoyancy control you will no longer have this problem.

Roak

This is true, it is also true that you will freeze you "geezer" off. Ha Ha excuse the pun.

WVDiver:
Geez,

My dry suit has straps just above the top of the boots that can be tightened to help keep large amounts of air from getting into the feet. This seems to help also if you make them tight. You may have to where a little more insulation on your feet in really cold water but you shouldn't really notice it otherwise.

Yeah, I think you can also purchase dry suit gaiters separately - the idea being that you strap these things around your calves and it keeps the air from gathering in there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom