breakfast and sea sickness corrolation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gajeep94yj

Contributor
Reaction score
first a little background, I love diving and will continue to do it even givent he fact I get sea sickness when ever I see a boat or smell diesel fuel. I know it's all in my head. I got good poisining during my check out dives 6 years ago. ever since then I always get sea sick.

well during last weekend's trip to TCI my wife proposed an interesting theory. she said she had been keeping up with what I ate for breakfast the morning of the dives. she said the few times I haven't gotten sea sick (not counting this weekend there have only been 3 total) that I didn't eat ANY fruit. every other morning I go diving I eat fruit, typically lots of it. I eat fruit all the time so I don't think there is any allergic reation to it or anything extreme like that.

Any ways every time I eat something like ham, eggs, ommlets, bacon, sausage, etc I don't get sick. she said it would appear it doesn't matter the water conditions or how much dramamine I take. well I tried it out on this trip, I took my normal ammounts of dramamine, 1 before I go to bed, 1 when I wake up, and 1 when I get on the boat, BUT this time I didn't eat any fruit what so ever the morning of the dive. and sure enough I didn't get the least bit sea sick. I even pushed it on the last day. I left my C-bands on the shore, only took 1 pill of dramamine, and tried being really active on the boat rather than just sitting. no sea sickenss what so ever.

my question (finally): does any one else see a direct corralation to what they eat for breakfast and sea sickness? or is this all in my head too? if it is I think I would like to keep it there.

Thanks in Adavnace!

I know that you're less likely to get sea sick if you have something in your stomach.
I've never really had a problem with it, but If I expect it to be rough I take dramamine as a precaution. :wink:
A freind of mine suggests eating foods that will taste the same coming back up. example: oatmeal with raisons and honey. :D

greasy foods like bacon and eggs wouldn't be very good coming back up. :11:

Tavi,
Over here a good fry up is mandatory for a cold water dive :) Keeps you warm ... allegedly:)

GAjeep,
I like a little fruit such as a banana or 2 or 3 plus some cornflakes and plenty of water. I drink a little fruit juice but nothing too acidic and find I'm ok but what I always do is take a Dramamine the night before and first thing in the morning. The one thing I always do is make sure that I drink plenty of water a couple of days in advance of my diving and I continually drink water during the dive days.

When I was in the navy, they always told us not to drink orange juice if we were sensitive to motion sickness. Milk the same, even if a little less.
So yes, it make sense.

Have you tried only bananas? I think that among the fruits, those are the less "sea-sickness inducing".

Mango are nice ! But citrus fruits I avoid - acidity from fruit or coffee seem to trigger sea sickness in me. Milk I find ok but I make sure that I have enough cerealto soak up the milk plus i get the slow energy release from the cereal - usually just after the dive :)

I've never been sea sick so I can't relate to your problem really but I'll say this. You've got a good wife, she's watching out for you.

dbulmer:
Mango are nice ! But citrus fruits I avoid - acidity from fruit or coffee seem to trigger sea sickness in me. Milk I find ok but I make sure that I have enough cerealto soak up the milk plus i get the slow energy release from the cereal - usually just after the dive :)

I think that's it - the acid from fruit (particularly citrus) and coffee aggravates sea sickness. I always have a lightly buttered roll - I think it soaks up some of the acid.

Interesting. I always eat a plate full of non-citrus fruit, occasionally with yogurt, and a glass of water. That plus the patch works great in 4' seas...

Bananas taste the same both ways....orange juice does not....

People defininately react to what food they eat and seasickness. It's not the same with each person, what bothers some might settle the stomach of another, but I think many divers have foods they've come to avoid on dive days.

Personally, I don't eat greasy foods like bacon when I dive, though I haven't been sick to my stomach in more than a decade, but I can feel the difference on the boat if I eat greasy food.

Food that are hard to digest don't do well with me before diving. I like pancakes or a nice muffin from the donut shop before diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom