Embarrassing/weird q: itchy butt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Code Monkey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After I dive, if I can't change into dry clothes for 20 minutes or so, I get itchy butt. I'm blaming it on those stupid mesh underwear that are sewn into my swim trunks. I'm pretty sure this isn't type I DCS because I dive pretty conservatively, it happens all the time, and it only happens on my butt. Moreover, I have actually had it happen on the way out to a dive site (having not been in the water at all). I'm not sure it matters but I'm 43, 5'7", 160lbs and have about 150 dives.

Does anybody else get this? How should I combat it? I'm contemplating wearing speedos under my trunks to see if this fixes the problem.

:lol:
Nope it don't happen to me, but I like your new nickname... itchy butt :D

WadeGuthrie:
After I dive, if I can't change into dry clothes for 20 minutes or so, I get itchy butt. I'm blaming it on those stupid mesh underwear that are sewn into my swim trunks. I'm pretty sure this isn't type I DCS because I dive pretty conservatively, it happens all the time, and it only happens on my butt. Moreover, I have actually had it happen on the way out to a dive site (having not been in the water at all). I'm not sure it matters but I'm 43, 5'7", 160lbs and have about 150 dives.

Does anybody else get this? How should I combat it? I'm contemplating wearing speedos under my trunks to see if this fixes the problem.
You are correct; it is your mesh underwear. In a former life, I was a raft guide and raft guides spend a lot of time in wet swim trunks sitting on a raft. If one used the wrong swim trunks they were asking for a case of "raft @$$". Surf style swim trunks that lack a liner fixed this problem for me and my river hippie compatriots. Try some liner-less trunks and see what happens.

WadeGuthrie:

You're not alone. Speedo will work, but if you are more....modest....you can also pick up a type of swimsuite called a jammer. These, like hte speedo, are made of lycra, but cover from the waist down to the knee, similar to bike pants. These also help if you have discomfort from swim trunks bunching up under a wetsuit because of the loose fitting material.

I do, however, think part of your itching is partly due to salt water and sensitive skin areas. Not really a lot to be done about that except to take a prompt shower after diving.

It's the combination of salt and the mesh. Bad deal. Especially if you have to sit for an hour or two in them. Very bad deal.

I used to get that on occasion, but more along the seams than on my bum. Since I started cutting the mesh liners out of my swim suits, I haven't had the problem again.

I just started using a speedo type suit to combat the uncomfortable post-dive feeling the others gave me. I try to get in my wetsuit quickly when wearing it though. You may also want to look for a suit that has a more solid lining instead of the open mesh lining.

I too was a raft guide in a former life. I wore loose fitting shorts, because bathing suit bottoms also cause this condition if worn for too long. Board shorts or the nylon running shorts that don't touch anywhere seemed to fix it for me then.

I also think it is the mesh. I do not wear those bathing suits anymore (swimming or diving). You should try board shorts. I wear boxers under boardshorts and no ichy ***.
I think speedo's are for gay french men. Hope no one takes offense to my last statement....its a joke lol

Back
Top Bottom