PADI standard for the ice diving course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all PADI instructors,

What is PADI standard for PADI ice diving course? The instructor can be stayed in the shore as an out of water supervisor? Recently, I was told that one dive shop had an ice diving course at the local quarry last winter. There were two students in that class and they just dived together without having any leading and guiding instructors under the ice. The instructor was sitting at the chair on the shore and waited for the students coming out to the surface after 1st dive and asked being floated at the surface for 10 min and two students completed the 2nd dive. The ice diving is not the common specialty in my region, so I am wondering what is the exact the standard, requirement, and instructor’s role for the ice diving class?

Thanks in advance,

Hey Hoosier,
If I ever get my AOW(nobody else signed up) I want to take the ice diving class. Maybe we can take it together?

If push comes to shove then I am going to see about a refund for my class and find someone in Indy. To bad that Suba Polly is NAUI.

im wanting to get my ice diving cer too.
i would like to take the class with you both. theres a padi school about 3 miles from my house. and they do ice diving. so let me know

hoosier:

What is PADI standard for PADI ice diving course? The instructor can be stayed in the shore as an out of water supervisor? Recently, I was told that one dive shop had an ice diving course at the local quarry last winter. There were two students in that class and they just dived together without having any leading and guiding instructors under the ice. The instructor was sitting at the chair on the shore and waited for the students coming out to the surface after 1st dive and asked being floated at the surface for 10 min and two students completed the 2nd dive. The ice diving is not the common specialty in my region, so I am wondering what is the exact the standard, requirement, and instructor’s role for the ice diving class?

Thanks in advance,

Where abouts are you? I did Ice a few years ago.

Mike

in_cavediver:
Where abouts are you? I did Ice a few years ago.

Mike

Hoosier is in Indiana. South of Indianapolis a bit.

I could see myself hopping on the Amtrac Chicago bound with my dive gear in tow for a ice dive this year. :D

Im trying to get to it for you but PADI once again seems to think I was born at someother time. This wil be the second time I have had to correct this.

"...During ice-training dives, students are to be accompanied by the course instructor or certified assistant...." - PADI Instructor Manual

BTW- 3 training openwater dives are required. You mention only 2.

From the PADI Insructor Manual: "maximum student to instructor ratio for open water ice training dives is two students per instructor. During ice training dives the students are to be accompanied by the course instructor or certified assistant (PADI instructor, PADI assistant instructor or PADI Divemaster.) "

"The course is to include three open water training dives over at least two days."
There are more standards that must be followed regarding penetration, site selection, preparation, hole cutting procedures, and such. It appears that if the instructor or his assistant was not in the water with them and only did two dives he was in violation of standards as well as putting two students at risk.

hoosier:

Thanks in advance,

There is a lot more to instruction than following one's agency standards. Untill just a few years ago PADI standards required that both instructors and students in ice diving courses wear snorkels. How stupid is that? I always told my students to keep thier snorkels in their pockets and never take them on an ice dive after their training dives were completed. Having said that, I can't think of how the instructor could lead his students through the appropriate skills without being in the water with them.

captndale:
There is a lot more to instruction than following one's agency standards. Untill just a few years ago PADI standards required that both instructors and students in ice diving courses wear snorkels. How stupid is that? I always told my students to keep thier snorkels in their pockets and never take them on an ice dive after their training dives were completed. Having said that, I can't think of how the instructor could lead his students through the appropriate skills without being in the water with them.

Let see. . . to get in the freezing water or not . . . OK, if I don't I won't get frost bite.

This seems like an intelligence test and the instructor passed.

Stan

Back
Top Bottom