how much do profestional divers make?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure about working as a divemaster on a boat. But my son is looking into being a commercial diver/welder. This is what the American Welding Society says....

An average salary vs. grade index would be interesting to look at if there were one, but the truth of the matter is that salaries for welder-divers cover a wide range. We know some welder-divers earn $15,000 per year while others earn in excess of $100,000. Because the majority of welder-divers are paid on a project-by-project basis, salaries are subject to the same variables as work availability. In addition, other factors such as depth, dive method and diving environment affect pay rates. The company with whom you gain employment should be able to tell you the salary range you can expect to earn.

The fact that most DiveMasters who work on dive boats "survive" on customer TIPS should indicate how low they are paid. Maybe the ones who are on liveaboards do a little better, but I assume that's mostly because their room and board is included and that allows them to save more since they aren't spending it on rent, car payment, etc.

Well,

I was hoping may son would be a sky diving instructor, but he chose the more dangerous profession of underwater welder !

Check out this article av8r: http://www.underwater.com/archives/arch/026.01.shtml

wetrat:
Well,

I was hoping may son would be a sky diving instructor, but he chose the more dangerous profession of underwater welder !

Check out this article av8r: http://www.underwater.com/archives/arch/026.01.shtml

After he's done it for a while you may wish he had decided to become a crash test dummy instead.

As for your income as DM: outside of the big tourist zones your income is usually measured in losses, not profits.

R..

lozzin:
about how much an hour does a divemaster or a similar position make?

I'm not exactly sure what an INSTUCTOR makes, but at our LDS here are some numbers.

So out of 27 *professionals* at this LDS

8 work FT (or own) the LDS on TOP of teaching. So not ONE is JUST Instructing as they all have other FT responsibilities.
19 Have FT jobs outside of the diving industry.

To sum it up, not ONE of the 27 instructors at this LDS actually make a FT living through just instruction, however 8 are FT in the Diving Industry.

To be fair, we are land Locked.

RonFrank:
I'm not exactly sure what an INSTUCTOR makes, but at our LDS here are some numbers.

So out of 27 *professionals* at this LDS

8 work FT (or own) the LDS on TOP of teaching. So not ONE is JUST Instructing as they all have other FT responsibilities.
19 Have FT jobs outside of the diving industry.

To sum it up, not ONE of the 27 instructors at this LDS actually make a FT living through just instruction, however 8 are FT in the Diving Industry.

To be fair, we are land Locked.

Related question, then...a DM working through an LDS assisting courses and teaching refreshers on the side, working a non-industry full time job: how often would one need to teach in order to break even financially with professional insurance premiums and other related costs? Then same question, except substitute "instructor" for "dm".

Edit: Got here from the hot topics menu, and just noticed this is in "Women's Views". Any particular reason?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom