Psst-over here-I'm talking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcbryan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I went on a dive today When I was at my max depth I made sure I had enough air to be there. I made sure I didn't stay there too long and I made sure when it was time to ascend that I did it slowly.

I looked at my compass occassionally to make sure I was going in the direction that I intended.

This is how I dive. It works regardless of dive equipment type or agency affiliation.

This is at lot of info for some of you to absorb so please ask questions. I'm a pretty complex guy and I can dive this way but with some practice and with much guidance from me you can to.

gcbryan:
This is at lot of info for some of you to absorb so please ask questions. I'm a pretty complex guy and I can dive this way but with some practice and with much guidance from me you can to.

Can you teach me over the internet or do I need to fly to Seattle? How much guidance do I need before I get my c-card? Does it have a nice picture of dolphins on it? That would be SO cool.

Gee....that sounds really complicated! :11:

I was a little unsure where this was going.... Till I checked your profile, and noticed that you were a member of the solo-diver group.

Then I re-read your post, and realised that there was no mention of a buddy.

I can see the attraction to just pottering around on my own, but, I kinda like having a buddy. (often my wife). I also know that my skills, currency and confidence fall way short of solo diving.

Just as an aside...

I spent a lot of years jumping out of aircraft just for kicks, been out the door below 2000 feet, and at over 20000, so I've done my share of "dangerous" stuff.

If you are well trained and well prepared to do something "dangerous", then it isn't nearly as dangerous as it appears. I'd prefer to be well prepared and doing a "dangerous" dive than ill-prepared and doing a "safe" one.

When you play in this playground, If you mess about, ignore the advice of people who have been there, done that, then hey guess what, you will most likely get badly broken, or killed, or badly broken and then die a few weeks later.

Here's the kicker though. You can do everying right and still die.

When you go out the door at less than 2000 feet, you are loosing some options in terms of time to deal with a problem. When you dive solo, you are loosing the option of having a buddy help you.

So while solo diving is not for me, nor cave diving, It's not the death sentence that some agencies make it out to be, but it's not to be taken lightly either.

I would agree gcbryan, there is a lot to absorb.

But I won't try to teach skydiving over the internet. I will happily point anyone to the DZs that I have jumped at and would recommend......

Dave.

gcbryan:
I went on a dive today When I was at my max depth I made sure I had enough air to be there. I made sure I didn't stay there too long and I made sure when it was time to ascend that I did it slowly.

I looked at my compass occassionally to make sure I was going in the direction that I intended.

This is how I dive. It works regardless of dive equipment type or agency affiliation.

Mr Tolan has some great points...Not to turn this into another ill fated "Solo Diver" discussion.....but..... Why not increase your chances of survival, every day, in everything you do.. Diving without one buddy is, like not looking before crossing a street. Eventually you will get hit... Why not increase those odds and always dive with a buddy. Why not dive with two buddies? and increase your odds of survial even more..

The human bodies natural instinct is to breathe.... If for some reason the body can not breathe, Like an OOA situation or worse, The next reacation very well could be to panic. I have seen this in three feet of water in a pool.

WITH NO BUDDY....THERE IS NO ONE THERE TO HELP YOU.. remember, you walked across the street with out looking...

Oh I forgot.... If the solo divers of the world dive with a buddy, it might make them less of a person, when they cant go around toughting "IM A SOLO DIVER"

I see absolutly no advantages to diving alone.

I dunno..

I make sure I have enough gas for my max depth *before* I go there, not after! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom