Newbie Strobe/Camera problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba-dave

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to taking digital pics underwater and am starting at the bottom.

I have a sony p73 camera and housing which is working just fine for me.

I have recently tried to use a strobe with it and when i take pics the strobe seems to wipe out all the light.

Take a pic with camera flash its fine,use strobe and pic seems void of any flash asif the strobe is sucking all light from picture.

Have tried all different settings on camera,the only time i can see the strobe light is when i slow shutter speed below 1/8 and turn iso up to 400.

Hope there is enough info there.

Scuba Dave

Think it is a syncing problem. Does your strobe support preflash mode cameras? and is your sony p73 a preflash camera? Check the settings on your camera, then make sure the strobe setting is the same..ie if you camera has preflash, set the strobe to preflash mode, and vice-versa. What strobe are you using?

Strobe is Aqua strobe ,This stobe works on mates older digital but doesnt seem to work with mine.

As far as i know camera doesnt have pre flash,Ican +/- flash power by 1.

Strobe is just on or off.

scuba-dave:
Strobe is Aqua strobe ,This stobe works on mates older digital but doesnt seem to work with mine.

As far as i know camera doesnt have pre flash,Ican +/- flash power by 1.

Strobe is just on or off.

Ok...I think Sony cameras are generally pre-flash cameras, ie the strobe will fire off initally for the camera to measure the exposure and a second time when the photo is taken. I gather your strobe is the Morris Aqua strobe?

I gather your strobe is the Morris Aqua strobe?

Unsure about that just has aquastrobe 45 on it,

It is an older strobe and may be for u/w film camera.

Strobe works fine its seem i just wont get it to work with my camera.

will have to save and get an inon D2000 one day.

I need a strobe as original flash cast shadow in left side of pics with my macro lense

If you take a picture of the strobe with the camera, doesit look like this?

f3nikon:
If you take a picture of the strobe with the camera, doesit look like this?

Like what i dont see a thing,

if i take a pic of strobe,stobe fires but i get a pic of strobe without light.

I would have expected a white washout but the pre flash must set it of to early and i get a darker pic

It must happen fast as i didnt know the camera pre flashed.

scuba-dave:
Like what i dont see a thing,

if i take a pic of strobe,stobe fires but i get a pic of strobe without light.

I would have expected a white washout but the pre flash must set it of to early and i get a darker pic

It must happen fast as i didnt know the camera pre flashed.

sorry I forgot to include the picture.

The camera's preflash is too fast for your eyes to see, to one's eyes the preflash and main flash is just one flash.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom