Crystal River Manatees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

major111

Registered
Reaction score
It's Manatee time again for us so I'm posting my list of questions I ask an operator
before I book a tour.

1. Is your shop on the water with it's boats docked nearby? If no, is the boat at least
docked and do you provide free transportation to it?

2. Is there any difference in your tours now vs in the winter? If no, does that mean encounter with Manatees will be identical?

3. Do your boat drivers ask for tips? If yes, can you recommend a company where tipping option is left to the customer?

4. Do you actually own the rental properties/hotel rooms you book for us? If not, who does and can we try to get our own rate?

5. If the tour requires us to follow a trailer with a boat on it to the launch site for Manatees, is this time deducted from our overall tour time? Is there a dedicated (not public bathroom) place to change from wet wetsuit to dry clothes before we drive back to shop if free transportation is not provided?

6. Are there any safety issues for the kids on the public boat ramps while the boat is being dropped off the trailer? And, if we are not comfortable with this, can you recommend any tour companies with boats docked at the marina or that provide free transportation to the marina where the boats are docked.

There are many companies and most are pretty big so we try to optimize the safety/tour time/convenience items since after all, the Manatees are Manatees and all the companies use the same ones.

Major (ret)

You might just want to call Bird's down there. They would be able to answer these questions, and I dont think they check these boards (to my knowledge).

We stayed at the Crystal River Resort (http://www.crystalriverresort.com/index.htm) last January and were very pleased.

The Crystal Lodge Dive Center (http://www.manatee-central.com) is located right at the motel. Walk out of your room, go about 50 yards and you are at the dive shop/dock.

If you use them, ask for Captain Andy (http://www.captainandy.com). He made the whole experience very enjoyable and was very knowledgable and experienced.

major111:
2. Is there any difference in your tours now vs in the winter? If no, does that mean encounter with Manatees will be identical?

How can anyone know?

3. Do your boat drivers ask for tips? If yes, can you recommend a company where tipping option is left to the customer?

It is always left to the customer. If asked, one need not tip.

4. Do you actually own the rental properties/hotel rooms you book for us? If not, who does and can we try to get our own rate?

Good luck on that one. They're trying to sell you the "package", but, hey- it cant hurt to try!

5. If the tour requires us to follow a trailer with a boat on it to the launch site for Manatees, is this time deducted from our overall tour time?

Better question: How much time will we have in the water?

6. Are there any safety issues for the kids on the public boat ramps while the boat is being dropped off the trailer? And, if we are not comfortable with this,

Now there's an interesting question that everyone knows the answer to. That environment is better classified as an "industrial" zone.

can you recommend any tour companies with boats docked at the marina or that provide free transportation to the marina where the boats are docked.

...as in: We don't like your operation, can you recommend a "better" one? I usualy just do the research, Google, or ask ScubaBoarders.

There are many companies and most are pretty big so we try to optimize the safety/tour time/convenience items since after all, the Manatees are Manatees and all the companies use the same ones.

I have heard that certain "better" companies also have private manatees, although some may appear to be animatronics. I'm just going to bet that you already have a list of a company that would fulfill all of the above needs... over and above the others. I'll bet as you're from the area, right?

Major (ret)

Did you get the IDC done this summer?

We're thinking about a trip down this winter, as well.

I dove Manatee Springs, Snorkeled in Crystal River; with the Manatees, and three other Springs dives last weekend. We dove with American Pro Dive Shop. They don't have a boat docked on the water; had to follow the boat to the river and it was very close by for the snorkel and one dive was from the boat. I actually thought the package deal that we purchased was a great deal; four dives and a snorkel with the manatees was about $135.00 per person. Yes, we did have to follow the boat and or the divemaster in our own vehicle. Yes, they do ask for tips; as is usual on most dives with divemasters or boat captains. But, I really think it was all worth it. My girlfriend and I really had a great time. You the biggest thing you have to watch for is other divers that don't know anything about diving etiquette, or just people that have no common respect for others space. Over all though, we had a great time. Manatees are a little harder to find than I thought though. The water was murky; not like you see in the pictures with the crystal clear water. You might want to wait till winter; the water in the ocean will cool down and then all the Manatees will be in the Crystal River.

Try these guys: http://www.porthoteldivecenter.com/index.html.
They are 100 yards from Kings Springs, a manatee hot spot, and they have a motel on site. We dove there today. No manatees!

KidK9:
You might just want to call Bird's down there. They would be able to answer these questions, and I dont think they check these boards (to my knowledge).

We do all our dive trips and dive classes with them for obvious reasons. It's the only sport and tec shop around area. Manatees, yes, they do great. But, they really limit passenger number on the boats so if no reservation in advance you end up no choice but to go with other.

MtnDiver:
We stayed at the Crystal River Resort (http://www.crystalriverresort.com/index.htm) last January and were very pleased.

The Crystal Lodge Dive Center (http://www.manatee-central.com) is located right at the motel. Walk out of your room, go about 50 yards and you are at the dive shop/dock.

If you use them, ask for Captain Andy (http://www.captainandy.com). He made the whole experience very enjoyable and was very knowledgable and experienced.

Yeah, they are really good. Same deal as Bird's/Port Hotel/Manatee Tour and Dive/Plantation etc., you walk from shop to boat. What's nice is no driving around in a wet wetsuit after the tour! The public marina does have a bathroom but....I ain't fat and I hardly fit in it.

But I still want to try them all! I called Adventure Dive Center, a new place but they are starting Manatees this seasonbut not sure where docking the boats. So that's one new one.

yuronlyone:
I dove Manatee Springs, Snorkeled in Crystal River; with the Manatees, and three other Springs dives last weekend. We dove with American Pro Dive Shop. They don't have a boat docked on the water; had to follow the boat to the river and it was very close by for the snorkel and one dive was from the boat. I actually thought the package deal that we purchased was a great deal; four dives and a snorkel with the manatees was about $135.00 per person. Yes, we did have to follow the boat and or the divemaster in our own vehicle. Yes, they do ask for tips; as is usual on most dives with divemasters or boat captains. But, I really think it was all worth it. My girlfriend and I really had a great time. You the biggest thing you have to watch for is other divers that don't know anything about diving etiquette, or just people that have no common respect for others space. Over all though, we had a great time. Manatees are a little harder to find than I thought though. The water was murky; not like you see in the pictures with the crystal clear water. You might want to wait till winter; the water in the ocean will cool down and then all the Manatees will be in the Crystal River.

Based on our experience, with the other companies, the one you mentioned was only one that hit us up for tips. I could be wrong- there are ones I have not tried yet. Which others did hit you up for tips? Who else did you go out with? We did the company you did and were bummed. Not because it was so bad, but because it was nowhere as good as the others. Needless to say, like the proverbial Frog in the Pond, it thinks it's pond is the greatest thing in the world because that is it's world. But, take it to some other ponds, and now you have a frog with appropriate objective evaluation of his pond.

Ponds- Manatee is good since it's so cheap to get in but no doubt they had you do Ginnie Springs, Paradise, 40 Fathoms, Blue Grotto, Devil's Den, Weeki, etc.

Note on Manatees- Crystal River has count of about 40 in summer and count of about 400 in winter. In summer, it does take a while to find one in clear water but it's not rocket science. They won't be at the springs; the water- in summer- is cooler than bay ambient. But, they can be down stream of spring flow direction. Due the flow, the water is clear and temp has come up. In winter, total opposite. Water from source a bit warmer, hence they are around the springs. Three sisters flow is decent and is good example.

The areas they feed in are pretty known to all who do this seriously, so if plants there, plants need a soil substance to take root, thus "silt" so water is murky. The patient drivers will get you a good Manatee if it's possible.

RoatanMan:
Did you get the IDC done this summer?

We're thinking about a trip down this winter, as well.

Yes, it was fun. Had two course directors; They have been course directing since the beginning of time and now my cap says "Instructor."

Know the area? Who me?

Send me a PM at some point; maybe we can do a tour together with the wives and all that. I'll probably do Manatee Tour and Dive this winter.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom