Molasses reef condition help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
can anyone explain the wind speed and direction as it relates to diving the upper keys. For example one day the winds were like 12 knts from the west and there was 1 ft of seas, i am trying to get a general guideline on windspeeds and directions to be able to predetermine how the reefs would be. Is this Possible.
Thnx

When you're in the Keys you want to stay away from east or south winds. This usually makes the chop worse as the wind is unresisted by any land mass. N or NW winds are the best.

sergeantnic:
When you're in the Keys you want to stay away from east or south winds. This usually makes the chop worse as the wind is unresisted by any land mass. N or NW winds are the best.
... we note that on the mainland (Broward & Palm Beach counties) the better winds are out of the west, with acceptable shore-dive winds from the north and south... the wind tends to move out of the compass point counter clockwise, so a south wind is good but usually means we'll be seeing wind from the east shortly.

Oops... I have that right? Clockwise or counterclockwise? Sheesh... it's been a YEAR since living on Hibiscus and I've already forgotten!

This applies to shore diving more than boat-dives, though... nobody really minds diving in the Keys with an east-wind blowing as long as it's not too rough.

I would tend to disagree about the east winds. But only if we're talking Key Largo and off a boat. I suppose diving wouldn't be much of an issue. I'm just talking my experience of being on boats and getting out to the reefs when winds are from the south or the east.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom