Standard Liability Release?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lord1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am trying to get my college to let me and a few divers to use their pool as it gets colder for practice. I just can't afford to fly to the tropical waters of down south to get dives in during the winter. Does anyone know where I can find a liability release to soothe the lawyers?

--L1234

No such thing exists... its very difficult to get colleges to allow pool use... even if you have a waiver to present them

toodive4:
No such thing exists... its very difficult to get colleges to allow pool use... even if you have a waiver to present them

That's funny. IU, Purdue and Notre Dame all do. I have reports that are not personally confirmed that ISU and Ball State does as well. That's just in land locked Indiana.

Oh and the best way to do this is form a Scuba Club within the college's student orginizations.

Mike

You can try what In Cavediver said, but don't hold your breath. Unless you are able to purchase liability insurance (usually $1,000,000.00 minimum) you won't be able to get a college or university to allow you to use there pool. There insurance will not allow them to rent their facilities to individuals, but a college sponsored dive club is another matter. Then the pool use will be covered under their policy. Hope this helps, I use Northern Illinois University pools and found these to be the best ways to use the pool.

Well, here's two thoughts... One, take a standard liability release form and modify it slightly... Here's a link to the Naui release:

http://naui.org/pdffiles/StandardWaiver_04-05.pdf

Another thought is, if they had a problem with their main drain, they would hire a pool company to check it out. That would probably be done by a diver, so instead of using the pool... perhaps you could offer a free evaluation of the pool conditions that you will conduct on scuba.

We have our own pool we use for training, but some of my other friends use university pools all the time, and if you have the Naui insurance as an instructor, the wording covers any pool, facility, university, etc automatically with a $1,000,000 policy.

in_cavediver:
That's funny. IU, Purdue and Notre Dame all do. I have reports that are not personally confirmed that ISU and Ball State does as well. That's just in land locked Indiana.

Oh and the best way to do this is form a Scuba Club within the college's student orginizations.

Mike

ISU, Rose Hulman teach scuba that is probably the only way in. As for others good luck. Again it drops back to the liability issue.

FWIW, here's the one I use for my weekly dive group. It's kinda the PADI one modified to suit my purposes, with blessings and modifications from a SB attorney.

RELEASE FORM LINK

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom