Orlando dive shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rotorboy

Reaction score
I apologize if I put this in the wrong section!

Could anyone recommend a dive shop here in Orlando where I can get my basic starter equipment (mask, fins, etc.)? I start my OW certification next week and although I found the prices online much cheaper….I'm taking the advice from a few on this forum and buying them local to make sure I get a proper fit. I know there are a few shops around, but I'd like to go to one with a friendly staff who be more than happy to help me out. Anyone have a good experience with a certain shop? Thanks!

Thank you, not too far from me. Checking it out tomorrow! Thanks again!

What side of town are you on? do have any particular brands in mind? I can make recommendations but would need to know if you have preferences. If location and brands are not an issue for you, Diver's Direct (World Water Sports) is probably the best place for price. I has a great selection of equipment for all levels and Mike, the general Manager, is probably the most experienced and helpful diver I have ever met. Tell him Lee Pavlock sent you. He will talk to you for hours if you let him, and he will teach you alot. They don't carry every brand but have many good brands. They are the largest in the area for inventory if you "have to have it now." otherwise tell me the location and/or brand and I can recommend a shop.

LJ

Diver's Direct is a great place to start and Mike will always spend plenty of time with you and you won't leave behind a arm and leg.

I second for both Kissimmee Pro Dive and for World Water Sports.

Kissimmee Pro is 406 E. Vine St, Kissimmee, just east of OBT on SR 192 (Vine St.), on the South side of the road. Phone number is (407)933-5090. Deal in ScubaPro, Dive Rite, Apeks, etc (prices are avg/fair but reflect the quality). Ron Menke (former owner) and Gary (current owner) are very experienced and helpful. I just got my wife and daughter certified through them. Very satisfied.

World Water Sports is on International Drive just south of the Bass Pro Shop (South of Oak Ridge) at 5368 I-Drive. Phone number is (407)354-3644. They deal in EVO, Mares, Zeagle, etc (prices range from very low for economy gear to very high for high-end rec dive eqpt; big selection). Mike is extremely knowledgeable, helpful, and will point you to the best bang for the buck. Gil will tell you what is hype, what is crap, and what will last. Jessica will point you to what you actually need (she's a former marine with a great personality and very pragmatic). Again, very satisfied.

With the two new divers I have dropped a lot of change into both operations and they give each other some strong competition for each of their strengths. My recommendation is pick whichever is closer.

Congrats on getting into the sport! I recommend shelling out a little extra and buying up front a good mask and fins in a neutral color (clear, silver, blck, etc). Get a good fit and you won't regret either. Weight belts, booties come and go. Hold off on a regulator and BCD at least till you finish the class, and try out your instructor's BCDs, other diver's, etc to get a baseline before you buy. Rent regs until you are positive you love the sport - good ones are pretty expensive.

I have been to many different shops in Orl. I still like Divers Direct on International Drive the best for selection and price. My second recommendation would be Wet-n-Fl in Lake Mary.

Not quite answering the question, but on the topic of O-town dive shops... does /anybody/ know where Oceans Unlimited went? They were over by Spring Lake Elementary on SR 436 in Altamonte Springs... but they disappeared without a trace as far as I can tell. Anybody know where they went?

But as for a suggestion: I found the people at ScubaQuest on the corner of SR 436 and Montgomery Road in Altamonte Springs to be very friendly and helpful. But they don't have a huge selection... based on just selection, I'd have to say World Watersports on I-Drive is great. The place is huge! But... man, I hate driving down I-Drive and braving tourist infested waters to get there (bleck!).

--Laurel

Thanks for all the replys. Ended up heading over to Castaway early Saturday to check it out before I headed out to Kissimmee Professional Dive Center. Thought I stop there seeing that it's where I'm taking my course. I know a few on here mentioned that some places give you a student discount. Castaway was no exception w/ a 15% discount! I walked in and met Steve (come to find out he's going to be my instructor). He was really helpful in making sure I purchased the right gear that was comfortable. I knew he was being honest when not once did he try and push the high dollar items. He explained all the different masks they carried along w/ the pros and cons of each. All in all...I had a great buying experince with them and would highly recommend!! Thanks for all shops listed above. I'm sure once I get going....I'll be checking those as well for my other gear. Thanks! Eddie

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom