Cheap BP/W setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zbskii

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchace my first set of gear; I was thinking of:
- Oceanic Chute III (~$400)
- Scuba L Orion (~$200)
- Backplate/Wing??

The oceanic is nice; lifetime warranty and it can hold 30+ lbs of weight.
The Orion looks almost as good as the Chute at half the price. All the backplate setups I've seen are $500+ I'd really rather not spend more than $400 on my bc. Is there any cheaper options? Should I just stick to a regular BC if I'm just starting out?
-Brett

As a Chute III owner, I can tell you I hav'nt even thought of wearing it since I got my Transplate. There are plenty of choices for an inexpensive BP/W setup, and I would encourage you to check them out.

ScubaL also has the Maximus which is a bp/wing rig for $249 -

I and another friend started using bp/wing during our BOW (I started on dive #5) and have loved the stability and comfort over the Jacket I started the class with.

If you look around you can find some other BP/Wings for under $500 - but the Maximus is the least expensive I've come across.

Aloha, Tim

check out diverite. you could get a single tank wing and continues harness for 450$.
go here
just get the
stainless steel pb.
one pice harness( standard webbing)
S/S cam bands
Venture wing.

i got the basic set up with tax
BC1056D Crotch Strap, 1-Inch Webbing, w/ Slide Release, S/S Scooter Ring $9.00 ea. 1 $9.00 increase decrease remove

BC1063 Harness, Basic $39.69 ea. 1 $39.69 increase decrease remove

BC2035 Tank Strap Set, S/S Cam Buckle (Set of Two) $60.00 ea. 1 $60.00 increase decrease remove

BC2077 Venture Wings $299.00 ea. 1 $299.00 increase decrease remove

BC2116 Backplate, S/S Polished $136.00 ea. 1 $136.00 increase decrease remove

Continue to Shop
Refresh Display
Go to Checkout
Empty your Cart
Order Subtotal: $543.69 FREE shipping for orders over $35 to US destinations!
Delivery outside USA Please read.
Shipping weight: 14.70
Orders will be confirmed via email.

free UPS Ground Shipping: $0.00
Grand Total: $543.69

www.diveriteexpress.com.

Or, you could do what I am doing. FifthD is still selling the Halcyon gear for '05 prices. I am ordering a Pioneer setup Monday. $485. I consider that a HELL of a bargain for one of the best units on the market. The '06 price is $555 so get 'em while they're hot.

Ask 5thD about their "blemmished" stock before you buy. I went by their store in August looking for a Pioneer wing...$300+. They then mentioned their blemmished stock. I ended up purchasing a new Pioneer with out a power inflator for $174. When I got home bummed an Oxycheq inflator from a friend's "spare" pile for free. Nice for me.

veggiedog:
Northeast Scuba Supply is having a backplate and wings special for $329. I just got a ss plate, deluxe harness, and RecWings bladder (51# lift). All Dive Rite stuff. You have numerous options (ss or al plate, choice of wings, choice of harness style). Exceptional deal.
http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/closeouts.html

I did the same with NESS and have been very happy I did. Super great shop with awesome service, even by mail! And the price can't be beat!

I noticed that the NESS product doesn't come with a tank adapter. Is one required for this rig? Is there anything extra that needs to be bought that isn't included that I'm missing? Looks like a nice deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom