freelance or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you mean 100% underwater shooting only, with the exception of a few high-profile magazines (National Geographic), there's very little; for example, some large-volume dive operations, like Stuart Cove's, have several full-time underwater shooters on staff.

Most professional shooters that aren't independent are employed as topside photographers, who also happen to be able to shoot underwater. This can, to a limited amount, make a person more marketable.

All the best, James

I run a UW video/photo place that i subcontract from a dedicated dive resort. So i am freelancing. I also freelance to lots of different mags.

Are you talking mags or ??

You can get hired by boats such as the Aggressor or resorts and be the in house photo pro, but on liveaboards you will be a boat driver, dive guide, tank filler, dishwasher, deck cleaner etc who just happens to take photos of guests and rent cameras.

In the journalistic world, as Fdog said, most are freelancers. In fact, i can't think of any who aren't.
Even Doubilet works for other mags and such

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom