New Orleans/Biloxi Gulfport Dive Shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
There are/were eight dive shops in New Orleans/Slidell, One in Long Beach, One in Gulfport and one in D'Iberville (North Biloxi).

On CNN this morning they profiled Caribbean Divers in Metarie who were spared total destruction but had major damage to the shop and to their home. Also, Harry's Dive shop owned by Cindy Caldwell was in harms way in Metarie too. If you have ever seen the yellow hoods at Vortex they are Cindy's students.

You can see the clip on Caribbean Divers by going to http://cnn.com and looking down the left side to the free video section. I warn you - it's sad.

Keith Sliman of Naui fame in Slidell, Tony Dees in Gulfport, and Club Caribbean in D'Iberville are all affected.

The main concern is not of physical damage - that would be insured. But with the customer base that has lost their homes and possessions. Who will have the time or money to want to dive over the next couple of years? Sort of a slow lingering death for the recreational dive business in the storm area.

This tragedy is far from over - that's for sure.....

Tony and Divemaster will get at least some business, as I expect to have to replace a bunch of gear when State Farm finally gets it's act together. Many of us will continue to dive, at a reduced rate, if only to maintain our sanity!

I haven't been back to the area yet as my house is still unreachable, but Divemaster in Long Beach may have been high enough to be on the upslope side of the debris pile.

FT

Tom Smedley:
Also, Harry's Dive shop owned by Cindy Caldwell was in harms way in Metarie too. If you have ever seen the yellow hoods at Vortex they are Cindy's students.

I drove by Harry's on the way into my office to extract computers and servers on Sunday. I didn't see any obvious signs of flooding or major wind damage, but I didn't get time to stop and look closely as the Parish sherrifs department was herding us rather closely.

Metarie west of Causeway is dry. East of Causeway is a lake.

FT

Thanks for the updates Fred...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom