Weights and Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rogaine

Registered
Reaction score
I am going on my first "Dive Vacation".......and need some advice.

My BC is weight integrated but I would prefer to not have to travel with weights. The dive location supplies weights and belts so.......

Is is better to bring your own weights, or leave them and just use the weight belt at the destination instead of lugging the weight with you.

Also, is there any GENERAL rule as to how much weight you should dive with ....I know it depends a lot on wetsuit, etc....but since December I have lost 30 lbs and haven't had a chance to dive yet......so am kinda unsure as to how much weight I might need......

I have seen people bring their weight pouches (empty) and use the weights on the boat. I usually bring my empty weight belt and follow the same procedure.

Rogaine:
I am going on my first "Dive Vacation".......and need some advice.

My BC is weight integrated but I would prefer to not have to travel with weights. The dive location supplies weights and belts so.......

Is is better to bring your own weights, or leave them and just use the weight belt at the destination instead of lugging the weight with you.

Also, is there any GENERAL rule as to how much weight you should dive with ....I know it depends a lot on wetsuit, etc....but since December I have lost 30 lbs and haven't had a chance to dive yet......so am kinda unsure as to how much weight I might need......
I have taken my own weights by splitting them up into the different suitcases, and I have also use the ones at the destination. Depends on the kind of diving I'm doing, and how self sufficient I want to be.

You should be able to do a weight check dive locally or in a pool before you go and adjust for salt/fresh water easily. Go to your LDS or find a mentor and see if they'll help you. Many people suggest getting your weight fixed during a check-out dive when you hit you vacation location, but frankly, I'm just not into that idea once I get there. I'm ready to dive! The more you prepare before you leave, the more time for fun you have when you get there.

Just my .02

My experience is that solid weights have always been available, although sometimes you can't get 2# weights; and 1# weight are rare -- so I bring my own 1# trim weights.

Soft weights aren't as readily available as hard block weights, but most pouches do fine with solid weights, although one of my BCDs is showing some wear in the area where solid weights rub, after 200 or 300 dives with solid weights, and sitting around rocking back and forth on boats, which is what I think really does the wear.

Excellent Idea. I never thought of only bringing the trim weights in the 1 & 2 lb variety....and then either using the weight belt, or using the hard weights in the pouches. I've never tried to use hard weights in the pouches so no idea if they will fit or not.

I'm going to go to my LDS this week and see if I can use their pool to do a weight check and see what I actually might need now AND see if they'll let me try to fit a hard weight into my pouch.

Thanks for the great advice.

I on occasion carry 2x 1lbs for trim or fine adjustment but never any more. Every place I have traveled has had a reasonable selection of weights. The only exception would be if you insist on soft weights. Very few places have them for rent.

Depending on room in my bag (weight wise) I try to take my weights with me, but that's just because I don't like spending any more than necessary at my destination - all I need to rent then is a tank.

Aloha, Tim

I bring one or two 1 lb weights, but have never needed them. Many times I have been able to get soft weights to put in my integrated BC pouches, but the few times that I have had to use hard weights in the BC they have worked just fine.

When my BC had a "problem" and I had to rent a non-integrated BC I used a weight belt with hard weights. Frankly I prefer the hard weights on a belt, but I am weird.

You should be fine with the available weights wherever you go. No sense carrying a bunch 'o lead for thousands of miles.

Wristshot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom