Zeagle Brigade - Broken Sternum Strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Archer_Pensacola

Contributor
Reaction score
Just finished my basic open water certification today (woo hoo!!). After completing all the skills with the rental shop BC, I put on my brand new fresh from the box Zeagle Brigade. After hooking up the tank, etc. I stood up and immediately the loop connecting the webbing of the sternum strap to the RH side of the BC popped off. I didn't see how much stitching there was but it didn't seem like much thread. Anyway as an intrepid diver, I rethreaded some of the webbing straps through the cam buckle, and 5 mins later, the same thing happened on the LH side. Now I'm very disappointed because it seemed like real shoddy construction on an otherwise excellent BC. Anyway what is my next step? I plan on emailing Scubatoys, but would it be quicker to go through Zeagle? And is there any way to get a "beefier" sternum strap on my BC?

CIMG1552.jpg

RH Side Strap (note broken threads)

CIMG1553.jpg

LH Side Strap

Hmm. I just looked at mine and its sewn together very securely. It must be a manufacturing defect. Larry and/or Zeagle will fix it for you. However, I don't have my sternum strap very tight and have occasionally questioned its usefulness/necessity.
Still, I use it because that's the way the BC was made and I'll assume it has its purpose.

I had the same problem with my Brigade the first time I used it. I just called ScubaToys and they sent me a new strap.

It is a problem caused by a bottom bobbin on the sewing machine being out of thread. The stich does not get "locked down". We have had a few with that problem, but either Zeagle or the shop will replace it for you.

Sorry!!!!

The problem has been resolved on our end, so there should be no future occurances!!!

Scott

Sorry about that... Call me 1st thing monday and we'll get one blasted out to you that day. If only we could get Scott to watch his thread instead of posting in this one... we wouldn't have this problem! :07:

Scott can't do it all. :D

Cool guys, thanks for the fast responses. I love the Brigade, I was able to successfully complete my dive without the strap in place so there were no problems there. And Scubatoys is on top of it. I appreciate all the help! :bang:

Might as well get the new one since its part of the BC but I removed the one on my Ranger as soon as i got it home, no real need for it since you are neutral underwater anyway and the only thing i can see it doing is getting in the way if you need to get the BC off in a hurry.

What I do with my Ranger: back roll into the soup, go down about 10 feet and then pull the waist band down onto my hips, cinch it really tight then adjust the shoulder straps so that they just begin to pull on my shoulders. Stays right there throughout the dive. I think the key point is going down a ways to let your wetsuit compress and then tightening the waist, really locks the BC in place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom