What is the differences in NAUI vs PADI class guidelines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
(Has nothing to do with who is better)

NAUI vs. PADI class guidelines.

At the risk of starting up the flame fest again.

I have heard that PADI allows the instructor more le-way when setting up a class, how to cover the material, and allows the instructor to add material as he sees fit. The end goal is simply to pass the test.

I have also heard that NAUI is extremely strict on how their course is to be run, the order things are taught, and that no changing the course is allowed. The end goal here is that the course is as important as passing the test. I have also heard that NAUI has a more legally defensible curriculum should something go wrong.

As I am looking to begin my dive master certification, and with instructor quality considered separately, does anyone have any solid information comparing these two organizations?

Please do not drag other agencies into this debate right now.

I've heard just the opposite. Of course any differences are mostly academic since neither one polices their agencies.

renaissancemanjoshua:

I have heard that PADI allows the instructor more le-way when setting up a class, how to cover the material, and allows the instructor to add material as he sees fit. The end goal is simply to pass the test.

I have also heard that NAUI is extremely strict on how their course is to be run, the order things are taught, and that no changing the course is allowed. The end goal here is that the course is as important as passing the test. I have also heard that NAUI has a more legally defensible curriculum should something go wrong.

As I am looking to begin my dive master certification, and with instructor quality considered separately, does anyone have any solid information comparing these two organizations?

Please do not drag other agencies into this debate right now.

renaissancemanjoshua:

I have heard that PADI allows the instructor more le-way when setting up a class, .

and

Brian Gilpin:
I've heard just the opposite..

Hang on..... let me get another beer and some popcorn before the show starts again....

My NAUI instructor said just the opposite - He let his PADI credentials lapse because NAUI gave him more freedom on the way he could conduct the class. However with that said - Cancun Mark has effectively pointed out that there are ways for PADI instructors to teach with a lot more "leeway" than is normally thought.

As will be stated VERY frequently, it's not the agency, but the instructor - and there are lots of great instructors on this board to listen to and learn from ... I enjoy reading the posts from instructors on the board (regardless of agency) as they share ideas for learning and the way they teach.

Aloha, Tim

P.S. In many areas (like mine :wink: ) PADI is the only option if you want to become an independent instructor as no one else offers an Instructor course in the area.

I am a PADI instructor and I can tell you it is NAUI Instructors that have more freedom.

Azza:
I am a PADI instructor and I can tell you it is NAUI Instructors that have more freedom.

I am both NAUI and PADI and *I* believe that PADI instructors have more freedom than they think and is taught in an IDC.

OK great,

Now I have the same opinion going both ways.

"WITHOUT" bringing the quality of INSTRUCTORS into the question, will a few of you site some agency specific examples for me?

I am going to enrol in a DM class when I return to Washington, that is the context in which I intend to use this information.

Again I know, I know all about the "quality of instructor" part.

NAUI let's you deliver your classes (pool and classroom) in any order you deem right, as far as you cover at least the basic requirements according to standards. So I could teach first diving science, then physiology and at last equipment, with the other subjects in between, or just the other way round; just as you consider it more adequate and, again, is at least what standards say (you can go farther, no problem.)

I'm not PADI, but having attended some courses given by fellow PADI instructors, I think they have to stick to a "module 1, module 2, etc" order in classroom, pool and OW (can somebody correct me if I'm worong please? no flames!)

Which one is better??
I think it depends basically on your style of teaching. Choose the one you feel more comfortable with.

PADI vs. NAUI is the same (quite boring, IMHO) flamewar as C++ vs. Java, Tec vs. Rec, etc1 vs. etc2...

Choose one, and whichever you chose, strive to be a good DM / Instructor, that's the bottom line.

Happy bubbles!

By setting up a clearly defined course curriculum that is structured and duplicate able, PADI has ensured that quality control can be maintained. This is one of the reasons why PADI courses are recognized by educational bodies in many countries, and is eligible for college or university credits. That is not to say that modifications to address regional differences and needs cannot be introduced. Flexibility in the course is available, but for most situations the standard course outline is the most logical route. The thinking is simply that no matter where or with whom you take a PADI diving course, the course should be very close to being the same. That’s why they call it “standards” in the first place. Some may argue that complete flexibility, and being able to teach what you want is better, but then how on earth do you audit or implement quality control measures on the course being taught? The answer simply is you don’t! For all the heat and bad feeling that GUE gets for it DIR course it teaches, one thing seems to stand out. They, like PADI, realized that in order to maintain some form or quality assurance, you have to have “standards” that are adhered to.

pt40fathoms:
That’s why they call it “standards” in the first place.
I think that if everybody around adheres to the standards, that's not enough conditon to have excellence. Most officers of most governmental agencies of most countries certainly adhere to standards, but that does not necessarily have any valuable contribution to the customer/user. Adhering to the standars, by itself, doesn't mean too much, unless the standars are really high (for the sake of clarity, and to avoid flaming, I DO think that PADI standars are high.)
On the other hand, and technically speaking, if you exceed the standards you're not adhering to them... yet, when I go to a restaurant, I expect those who serve me to exceed their service standards, go the extra mile and deliver a nice service. As NAUI instructors we are constantly motivated to exceed the standards, not only to adhere to them.

pt40fathoms:
... but then how on earth do you audit or implement quality control measures on the course being taught? The answer simply is you don’t!
There are many ways to control quality of services (teaching is a service), and for the most part those methods take into account the several things that can affect the delivery of a service, even when stringent standards are in place. It's a rather lengthy reading, but you may want to check the works of Professor James L. Heskett of Harvard, who has written extensively in service management and service quality control. Particularly, I think that this book is worth both the money and the time. By reading this book it should become clear that not only it is possible to measure quality of services offered by companies that do not impose rigid standards, but also that sometimes it is desirable to deviate from those very standards and go the extra mile for the customer.

G.P.

Back
Top Bottom