Please ring my bell!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

john cootes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a distinct feeling that the answer to my question is already posted somewhere, but this is such an extensive and comprehensive site that I feel it would take half a lifetime to access all the information contained herein.
During a recent trip to Fiji, my daughters and I were impressed by a makeshift "attention-getter" that had been devised by our dive master. It was a simple metal cylinder, into which he had sealed some type of ball-bearing, and when shaken (violently?) it produced a distinctive and quickly identifiable sound. Naturally, it attracted a response from the whole group and in an instant our Dive Master had our complete attention.
Some time later, during the dive, I was fortunate to spot a beautifully coloured Lion Fish lurking in a small cavity and attempted to let my daughters know. They were cruising a few feet (meters) in front of me, so it took quite an effort from this usually very conservative and energy-saving senior citizen to reach her and bring her back to my exciting discovery. It then occurred to me that there must be a better way of attracting their attention underwater, and I began to think of ways to duplicate our Dive Master's ingenious little gadget.
It was then that I also decided to consult my more knowledgable fellow divers at
Scubaboard. So here is my question (after that rather long-winded introduction!!!):
Does anyone know of a commercially produced "gadget" that could serve the purpose of attracting a fellow diver's attention without too much physical effort?
Could I also share with you one of the prized memories that we brought back with us from Fiji: Our divemaster was cautioning us against any sudden movements in the event that we sighted a SHARK during our dive. He then went on to outline what he described as a carefully researched and well-documented "shark drill".
"If the group is approached by a shark that looks menacing or in any way dangerous, please immediatly form a tight circle..... around your Dive Master!!" (I know you've probably heard it before, but if was a first for me and I laughed quite raucously!)
Hope someone can recommend an attention-getting device, and I look forward to your replies. JOHN COOTES - Lake Macquarie, Australia

You can make one with a piece of PVC, two caps, and marbles inside.

There are commercially produced dive rattles, the good old elasticated "tank bangers" (not so great IMO), or go the whole hog and get a scub alert underwater signalling device that fits to your lp hose. Also the Wind Storm whistles work underwater (which still seems odd to me)

john cootes:
Does anyone know of a commercially produced "gadget" that could serve the purpose of attracting a fellow diver's attention without too much physical effort?

A friend manufactures these, he does a REALLY nice job... http://www.scubabell.com/

I have one from my LDS , think of a bell in stainless steel with the bottom sealed and a lanyard on it. Has a differnt sound than others , nice to be able to tell I'ts my dive buddy signaling me (have not seen it anywhere else though)

DB

john cootes:

"If the group is approached by a shark that looks menacing or in any way dangerous, please immediatly form a tight circle..... around your Dive Master!!"

I use a Hammerhed, it connects into your intergrated air hose and requires you to just press a button ( not to hard ??? ). Should be able to get one at any LDS.

I read an article that a diver ( swimmer ) in Australia was being threatened by sharks. Some dolphins appeared and swam in a circle around the diver until the sharks left. Sounds like a great idea to me, especially if I'm in the middle..

Joe

I use a Sub Duck And really like it :bang:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom